Long tentacle anemone, HEEELLLPPPP!!!!

NemesisAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've had this long tentacle anemone in my tank since the first week I started it about 6 months, about a two weeks ago he moved under the rocks and was down there for about a week. when he remerged, he was half the size he was. he then got pushed in the current in my tank and ended up landing right up against a Hammer coral, so I moved him myself back to the rockwork. he then attached to a rock and retracted his tentacles, then I noticed him on the move last night (I installed a fx150 gyre pump yesterday evening) and now he looks like this, is he hurt, is he sick? is he okay? or am I just worrying too much? I'm still a noob Haha.

Before:
20210925_093207.jpg

After:
20211215_083836.jpg

Thanks!
Nemesis

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you sure it didn't just divide?

heres a quote that describes it pretty well:
"When an anemone is about to split, it's usually pretty obvious. It will elongate, stretching across one or more rocks. It will pull both directions, basically ripping itself in half. ... Anemones will need a few days to heal, sealing themselves and rebuilding the mouth area that is used to swallow food once more."

this is either good or bad, check params and have you been making sure nem is healthy otherwise?

If good - Nem had lots of energy and was strong enough to clone

if bad - Nem doing badly and split to try and find better conditions for the clone

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. Early pics look good.

A complete list of your current water parameters may be helpful.

Have you put an anenome guard on the fx150 to protect the nem and the tank?

OP
OP
N

NemesisAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. Early pics look good.

A complete list of your current water parameters may be helpful.

Have you put an anenome guard on the fx150 to protect the nem and the tank?
i will update with water parameters soon. today is water change day anyway. parameters were all "normal" when i tested a few days ago(i forgot to put the parameters into my app as i was taking them) i do NOT have gaurds on it yet, but there will be. i needed to get it into the tank though. the "gyre" effect on my tank has done wonders though to get rid of all the dead spots i had. the nem is on the opposite side of the tank (for now, and i havent seen a second little one anywhere yet.)

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will update with water parameters soon. today is water change day anyway. parameters were all "normal" when i tested a few days ago(i forgot to put the parameters into my app as i was taking them) i do NOT have gaurds on it yet, but there will be. i needed to get it into the tank though. the "gyre" effect on my tank has done wonders though to get rid of all the dead spots i had. the nem is on the opposite side of the tank (for now, and i havent seen a second little one anywhere yet.)
so it did split, thats why its injured, It will heal overtime, do not feed it until it has settled and is attached to a rock again

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you sure it didn't just divide?

heres a quote that describes it pretty well:
"When an anemone is about to split, it's usually pretty obvious. It will elongate, stretching across one or more rocks. It will pull both directions, basically ripping itself in half. ... Anemones will need a few days to heal, sealing themselves and rebuilding the mouth area that is used to swallow food once more."

this is either good or bad, check params and have you been making sure nem is healthy otherwise?

If good - Nem had lots of energy and was strong enough to clone

if bad - Nem doing badly and split to try and find better conditions for the clone
LTAs don't reproduce by splitting like BTAs do

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so it did split, thats why its injured, It will heal overtime, do not feed it until it has settled and is attached to a rock again
What are you reading there that confirms a split on the LTA?

that's not how these anenome reproduce.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP: we could be dealing with something as easy as the new gyre you installed changed all of the water flows in the tank and is irritating the nem. Almost every one of my anemones move whenever I change flow in the nem tank.
idk why this didn't come to my mind. you are probably correct, sorry for the confusion

OP
OP
N

NemesisAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering the same, and when did the anemone being injured come into play at all?
im saying injured/hurt because after i moved him off of the hammer coral he looked a little messed up, the side of him that was touching the hammer kind of looked like it was really stinging the **** out of him(like almost looked like it started to disintegrate the LTA). out of curiosity, can a coral do as much damage to a nem as they can to a coral?

OP
OP
N

NemesisAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, he is literally a quarter of the size that he used to be? did he really lose that much size in a week or so of not eating because of burying himself into my rockwork?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im saying injured/hurt because after i moved him off of the hammer coral he looked a little messed up, the side of him that was touching the hammer kind of looked like it was really stinging the **** out of him(like almost looked like it started to disintegrate the LTA). out of curiosity, can a coral do as much damage to a nem as they can to a coral?
Oh I wasn't referring to you, Slugsnorter had said that it was injured due to splitting. I'm sure a coral can sting an anemone, but the anemone has the ability to move away from the coral doing the stinging so I wouldn't worry too much about it

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, he is literally a quarter of the size that he used to be? did he really lose that much size in a week or so of not eating because of burying himself into my rockwork?
That may be a reaction to the change in flow in the tank. It might have deflated a bit so it's less likely to be blown around. I'm assuming that the flow is a bit higher with the new wavemaker?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones can make themselves big or small due to lighting / flow ect … doesn’t mean it’s not healthy my nems stay compact and don’t stretch because I have high flow/ high light

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back