Long tentacle anemone

Reef_dachs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a LTA that has been in the same spot for about 2 months. He moved today but left stuff behind. The stringy stuff is from his foot. He’s rehomed himself as indicated in the 2nd pic. Is this normal? I did a water change yesterday and I’ve seen my cleaner shrimp picking at him occasionally.

water parameters:
PH 8.0
Phosphate 0-.03
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10 (can’t tell with my eyes on the Salifert chart)
Ammonia <.15
Alkaline 15.7
Calcium 385

any help on the alk and calcium would great too

5E2C7DDC-F48D-46C9-A653-542D6DCF8C7E.jpeg 6657C7F1-E545-495B-8742-C675EB8BF87F.jpeg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for over 11 years and never seen it leave anything behind. It rarely moves. Not sure about all the numbers. I can't remember the last time I checked anything other than the gravity. I hope all ends well. If I had it to do over again though I would never have got one. And now I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok right now you need a water change big time. To get your numbers down with all. Do not add anything to the water. Yes they LTA will move when they want to change spots or don't like were they are at. Try moving it to a spot with hole in the rocks. Right water change is your friend do it slow. Once a week 25% . Give it time No rush

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia should be zero. Test again comparing your new salt water to your tank to see if the colors match. That is assuming you are using RODI water.

Your calcium is low and your alkalinity is quite high. How are you managing your tank parameters now?

I think a better picture of your anemone's mouth is necessary. It just looks like it spit up some filaments. How deep is your sand bed? You should have 3-4 inch DSB in the area where it goes for it to stay happy.

OP
OP
Reef_dachs

Reef_dachs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia should be zero. Test again comparing your new salt water to your tank to see if the colors match. That is assuming you are using RODI water.

Your calcium is low and your alkalinity is quite high. How are you managing your tank parameters now?

I think a better picture of your anemone's mouth is necessary. It just looks like it spit up some filaments. How deep is your sand bed? You should have 3-4 inch DSB in the area where it goes for it to stay happy.
I get the RODI from a LFS. This is the first time I’ve mixed the salt myself. I did a water change at 1.026 salinity. I’ve had issues with the alk & calcium for a few months now unless I’m testing wrong. I’m using Salifert. See pic of anemone today.

6173EC54-97D2-4076-9CF1-AF49DB13F554.jpeg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look bad in the photo. Have you tested the water you get before using it?

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good from that photo. As long as it buried it’s foot.

Are you using API test kits by chance?the ammonia test seems to always return a slight reading.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think it will move. If it does, add more sand to make deeper and have one side against the rock crevice.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back