Long time lurker, YIKES!

thesnomonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL/DR - - My name is Pete... and I have a problem... - -

I have recently jumped into the saltwater. Starting with a FOWLR almost a year ago, I then started looking for all the expensive corals and dreamt that one day I would have an amazing showpiece. I have researched almost every day to find new things to explore about the hobby. I am a disabled vet taking advantage of the G.I Bill and have more free time than I could imagine..

Initially, when starting in the hobby, we went to the LFS and purchased a starter kit. It was a 46gallon bowfront with Fluval 306 canister filter, basic heater, white led strip, sand, and 2 live rocks.. yes, I know this "kit" makes many reefers cringe... April will be the anniversary of this tank and it has now much more LR, 6 fish, Fluval SEA led, and a protein skimmer. (new addition of Fluval powerhead not pictured)

img_20170321_091727-jpg.498681

Why Fluval? The second person that makes the decisions on the FOWLR says so. Fancy plastic molds and packaging do come with a price tag, and the real aspect of the marine hobby can be accomplished with the products they offer.. yes, I know.. it's not the best and is spendy for the lack of performance yadda-dada..

With starting my research I decided to jump on petco1$gal sale for 2x 40b tanks. Mainly one for the primary DT and the other for cosmetic sump. Lots of ideas running around about what to do for the sump and stand, however, I will plan a comprehensive build log. (I've completed many threads from repairing motorcycle forks to building a VR racing simulator) I'm always open to ideas at any time as well.

With most of the needed gear purchased and a few deliveries from the mail left, the 40b will be complete, as for now a pic (not using this stand) of what I'm working with.

img_20170224_123312-jpg.498689

Obviously, a few things are in need of being done before introduced to 1.025, or ro/di for that matter..
-Sno

IMG_20170321_091727.jpg

IMG_20170224_123312.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back