Longnose Hawkfish Aggression

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my longnose hawkfish for 9 months and he’s been a model citizen. Almost overnight, he became incredibly aggressive towards my fairy wrasses. Forced one wrasse into constant hiding, wouldn’t eat, and the other just flies around the tank trying to get away from him. The wrasses were also added first. It’s been going on for weeks and my wrasses are incredibly stressed. My tank is 120g, so size shouldn’t be an issue.

My mom had a LN hawkfish growing up and it was never remotely aggressive, and I’ve heard they’re the most docile hawkfish. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced aggression with these fish. Makes me sad, I have him in a breeder box and he’s going to a new home tomorrow.

I’ll miss you Tony Hawkfish! Sorry you had to be such a jerk!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was in a very shallow 6’ tank for a couple of years and only harmed FOOD. (Lol.) So that’s quite the interesting story you have; sorry he has to go. :(

Hyjnks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had to get rid of a hawkfish - he was not nice, killed my shrimps and bullied his tank mates - I think some fish just aren't nice and/or need to be in a much larger place - I'm now very much into making sure everyone gets along.... it just happens - you can try to change him or not but fish like people have their own proclivities ....:)

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had to get rid of a hawkfish - he was not nice, killed my shrimps and bullied his tank mates - I think some fish just aren't nice and/or need to be in a much larger place - I'm now very much into making sure everyone gets along.... it just happens - you can try to change him or not but fish like people have their own proclivities ....:)

Not glad that you got a mean one too, but glad mine wasn’t the only one lol! He’s in a 180 now with a bunch of tangs so I’m sure he’s happy. Funny enough, the day after I got rid of him, my firefish popped out of his hole… that I hadn’t seen in over a month and assumed he was 100% dead! My wrasses are perfectly normal again. Can’t say I miss him too much haha

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have probably all had that certain fish where the day we got rid of it was better than the day we got it. Lol. :)

Hyjnks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not glad that you got a mean one too, but glad mine wasn’t the only one lol! He’s in a 180 now with a bunch of tangs so I’m sure he’s happy. Funny enough, the day after I got rid of him, my firefish popped out of his hole… that I hadn’t seen in over a month and assumed he was 100% dead! My wrasses are perfectly normal again. Can’t say I miss him too much haha
Ha! Same thing happened in my tank - all my fish that were constantly hiding were out and about swimming along happily together. Of course no one wants to get rid of any of their pets, but can't have one bad apple ruining the whole bunch!

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try catching it and removing for a while. You can reintroduce and hope all settles. It worked for me

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about maturity; when researching potential tank mates never conclude your decisions based on juveniles or new additions. The level of aggression may also be based on sex, males of most species will be more aggressive. Male on male aggression even more so, even cross species. Regardless of which species of hawkfish, there is always a risk of extreme aggression. I keep flame hawkfish in my predator tanks.

Back