Look what my Petco has!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Say what you want about Petco but I’ve been to some awesome ones and some terrible ones! My Petco happens to be awesome and has a large saltwater section and large frag tank. Look what they have now for $70!
0E01A91D-9EC7-4AE0-9048-9CB2A22B407F.jpeg

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oooo I’ve never seen these little guys before and for only $120 lol!
8D36903B-13D1-4920-AAF7-D33358E53997.jpeg
Although I'm probably maxed out for big fish, I'd really reconsider if I came across a sw betta.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are some stunning fish! Wish I lived closer to an LFS that got more scorps in. I used to them they moved further over to the West of the UK in Dorset.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, my Petco is awesome!!! Clams, nems, corals (sometimes), and the other day I went in a they had a LIONFISH!!! My local PetSmart doesn't even have a saltwater section. . .
PetSmart as a whole does not sell or carry anything saltwater related.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petcos are no different than any local fish store. Some are great and some are awful. I've been to alot of shops and by far the worst were locally owned.
100%

I've been to many, many LFS's and Petcos. Seen really bad LFS's, and really great Petcos, and vice Vs.

Actually one of the LFS's I used to go to, the owner, runs the aquatics dept at a petco now, great place to go to!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't go to Petco any more, ever since finding out that their bosses /especially/ don't care about the livestock. I mean, chain pet stores are in it for the money, but Petco seems especially bad. I saw a tank of juvenile dart frogs, which are tiny, being kept with crickets over pinhead size. Not only were the frogs too small to eat the crickets, but the crickets were large enough to threaten them. When I mentioned this to an employee, she told me that corporate hadn't sent any appropriate food (fruit flies), even though Petco often stocks that appropriate food. They also hadn't provided any care information for the dart frogs, even for the employees to use. Petco corporate treats animals like inanimate objects, not like something that deserves the basic respect of being properly fed.

That said, the knowledge and commitment of individual employees can be a game-changer for individual stores, and they do sometimes have some good stuff in.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't go to Petco any more, ever since finding out that their bosses /especially/ don't care about the livestock. I mean, chain pet stores are in it for the money, but Petco seems especially bad. I saw a tank of juvenile dart frogs, which are tiny, being kept with crickets over pinhead size. Not only were the frogs too small to eat the crickets, but the crickets were large enough to threaten them. When I mentioned this to an employee, she told me that corporate hadn't sent any appropriate food (fruit flies), even though Petco often stocks that appropriate food. They also hadn't provided any care information for the dart frogs, even for the employees to use. Petco corporate treats animals like inanimate objects, not like something that deserves the basic respect of being properly fed.

That said, the knowledge and commitment of individual employees can be a game-changer for individual stores, and they do sometimes have some good stuff in.
Honestly it’s hit or miss.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my Petco is awesome!!! Clams, nems, corals (sometimes), and the other day I went in a they had a LIONFISH!!! My local PetSmart doesn't even have a saltwater section. . .
My local petco has tons of coral, nems, clams and had this Scoly and lionfish. I had to get them both. Scoly was 100 and as big as my fist, Chop, the lionfish was 40. I moved them to the DT a few months ago and they’ve been healthy and played nice with the other residents. I usually don’t buy from petco, but I was really impressed by this purchase
C32BBF37-47B5-4B3B-9A70-67B188CDD277.jpeg

Attachments

• F449B4CD-3499-4CB7-B369-0E5662CD6D70.jpeg
    F449B4CD-3499-4CB7-B369-0E5662CD6D70.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 120

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local petco has tons of coral, nems, clams and had this Scoly and lionfish. I had to get them both. Scoly was 100 and as big as my fist, Chop, the lionfish was 40. I moved them to the DT a few months ago and they’ve been healthy and played nice with the other residents. I usually don’t buy from petco, but I was really impressed by this purchase
C32BBF37-47B5-4B3B-9A70-67B188CDD277.jpeg
That is not a Scolymia. There is a Trachyphyllia geoffroyi (the large green one), a plate coral (could be Fungia, Cycloseris, or Diaseris), either a Lobophyllia or Acanthestrea Pachysepta, and some zoanthids/palys.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not a Scolymia. There is a Trachyphyllia geoffroyi (the large green one), a plate coral (could be Fungia, Cycloseris, or Diaseris), either a Lobophyllia or Acanthestrea Pachysepta, and some zoanthids/palys.
Thanks for the clarification. I can never tell the difference between trachs etc

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PetSmart as a whole does not sell or carry anything saltwater related.
Not true. I've been buying a bunch of my reefing salt from Petsmart for the last few years.
They carry Fritz, IO, and RC brand salts and have some pretty good sales. Like right now.

Right now you can get Fritz for under $40/bucket and IO for under $30/bucket.

(3) buckets of IO are $85 plus tax right now.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not true. I've been buying a bunch of my reefing salt from Petsmart for the last few years.
They carry Fritz, IO, and RC brand salts and have some pretty good sales. Like right now.

Right now you can get Fritz for under $40/bucket and IO for under $30/bucket.

(3) buckets of IO are $85 plus tax right now.
Salt but like that’s it not livestock and some products can be used in both!!

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a petco with a good saltwater section, you can get a steal on corals if you pay attention. I got a 6 headed torch for 80 dollars, and a 4 headed hammer for 70. They get pretty nice nems in too. Bubble tips are average priced at 50 each, but the carpets they get can be really nice, and theyre only 60.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back