Looking for a Banggai breeding expert

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all fine but I have had them breed 20 times, like I said up top, he has only ever carried 1 batch to 'term'. So I bought a cobalt egg rocker to try and get the eggs hatched myself. My major questions have to do with when the eggs are at their most vulnerable stage. Right now the yoke is whitening. They have eyes, some have a tail, and a head. But thats where they usually die. So I am trying to figure out how to get them past that point.
I know it. I was just posting the PDF someone asked for. As @pdisner suggested I would maybe look at nutrition.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all fine but I have had them breed 20 times, like I said up top, he has only ever carried 1 batch to 'term'. So I bought a cobalt egg rocker to try and get the eggs hatched myself. My major questions have to do with when the eggs are at their most vulnerable stage. Right now the yoke is whitening. They have eyes, some have a tail, and a head. But thats where they usually die. So I am trying to figure out how to get them past that point.

You know, I have a friend that has recently had their egg pouch out early as well. Hers is doing fine, day 7 and is developing eyes. How are they? Any updates?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the state of them now, you can see one of the ones that broke away that has a head and tail.
IMAG3502.jpeg
IMAG3488.jpeg
IMAG3487.jpeg

These eggs look fine in these pics BTW. You’ll be able to tell if dead. You can also see the heart beating and a few blood vessels. They’ll move around at some point as well with some gentle stimulation at a certain point. But ur not there yet. How are they looking?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sweet! You figured out how to post the file roundabout way! Awesome. So I guess it needs to be set up like a public drive? Awesome.
So yeah this is it! Free. But anyone wanting more info than that, there’s a great book that goes over a multitude of species, conditioning broodstock, larval rearing, first food cultures and a lot more. It’s Breeders Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes.
I’ve had a lot of success by reading following the advice there and from other sources. I would highly recommend t9 anyone even just to read about the mating and spawning rituals of each species. Very interesting.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! You figured out how to post the file roundabout way! Awesome. So I guess it needs to be set up like a public drive? Awesome.
So yeah this is it! Free. But anyone wanting more info than that, there’s a great book that goes over a multitude of species, conditioning broodstock, larval rearing, first food cultures and a lot more. It’s Breeders Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes.
I’ve had a lot of success by reading following the advice there and from other sources. I would highly recommend t9 anyone even just to read about the mating and spawning rituals of each species. Very interesting.
Feel free to give out that link. I'll leave that file there on my google drive for people to access. I'll have to check that book out!

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to give out that link. I'll leave that file there on my google drive for people to access. I'll have to check that book out!

There’s a few others if you’re motivated to learn a lot. Not too expensive, there are a lot of ebooks. I know that one is and one called “Clownfishes”. Goes over all species and more details specific for clownfish. That and you tube have some good videos.
There’s a site that some of you may or may not know about. It’s www.mbisite.org
There’s a lot o good info here but not as structure d as say a book. Not too busy of a site though. It would be nice I get something serious started. They’ve got a great idea for the site but too quirky. Needs a lot of work and updating.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a few others if you’re motivated to learn a lot. Not too expensive, there are a lot of ebooks. I know that one is and one called “Clownfishes”. Goes over all species and more details specific for clownfish. That and you tube have some good videos.
There’s a lot o good info here but not as structure d as say a book. Not too busy of a site though. It would be nice I get something serious started. They’ve got a great idea for the site but too quirky. Needs a lot of work and updating.
For sure. The MBI site is a great idea but definitely needs some refinement.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. The MBI site is a great idea but definitely needs some refinement.

I got really bored with corals,mostly because the LFS around me are expensive and just a handful of saltwater enthusiasts. The breeding and aquaculture in general is captivating and really not hard to get started cheaply, especially when compared to corals.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you link the ebook?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one clear winner right now, some others look like they are about to break out of the yoke as well
IMAG3522.jpeg

Way to go. Looks like they’re all still viable? They are very hardy fish and I guess even the larva and eggs are too!

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all great stuff to be documented. A lot of this is still an unknown. Still a lot of questions to be answered that there aren’t senders to yet. There are a handful of elementary school kids now breeding clowns as their classroom project. There’s a lot of involvement and participation from the parents as well. I wish I had that option growing up, for my own kids as well. I think all this stuff stimulates an appreciation that you don’t realize til you see and do it for yourself. I’m a perfect example. 6 species now in under a year. And I’m broke usually....because of a disability. It’s all very straight forward. Of course you need to understand what you’re doing, so you have to crack the books. I’m going to make another thread here that will contain all the books I’ve found and other useful tidbits about breeding marine ornamentals.
4d59fd3e03c7db6ec294f6c4cda46a63.jpg

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so here's what's going on. This is about my 20th batch, around the 8th batch he carried them to 'term'i caught him around day 22 and he spit them. I had them in a breeder net that ended up falling in the water because suction cups suck. The rest of my fish ate them. So I went and bought a cobalt breeder because 95 percent of the time he eats them around day 14. So the next time he got the eggs in his mouth, I let him carry for 7 days or so then caught him, stripped the eggs and put them in the tumbler. This is where the questions start. So the first batch, some of the eggs were hatching (about 5) but I had a fairly high flow in the tumbler to keep the egg row moving. All the eggs went sterile.

So I have a batch in there now, around day 18 I think. I turned the flow down, some are starting to break away from the row, but none are really looking that good, they all have their eyes but the yoke looks pretty pale. Another thing I did this time was cut a sock and put it over the rocker to keep all the light out. (in dads mouth there is no light) I am not sure what else to do to try and get my success rate above 0 besides use the dad for 20 some days and hope he makes it which usually just turns into a high protein snack for him. My buddy said maybe separate the eggs from the row, I may lose a few but I could at least tumble them correctly. Also is the success rate 0 because dads mouth is warmer than the surrounding water. A lot of questions to try and get this to work but I am determined. Also I did pick up a HOB breeder box so I don't have that problem again.

What kind did you buy? What’s it made from?

OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is where I am at, you can see at night all the dead eggs. There is still about 4 or 5 good ones left. 1 is looking really good. You can see where the heart has developed and the main artery has formed.

The next batch I am taking completely out of the tank and am going to mix a 20 gallon batch of clean water with a single power head in a rubber maid garbage bin with a lid. I am curious if it is the light that is killing them as in the dads mouth there is no light. I am also going to run the temperature a couple degrees warmer as I read somewhere once that will accelerate the growth rate of the eggs by a day or 2. In the mean time I am on a hope right now that a couple make it.
Screenshot_20180706-000103.jpeg

OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a little bit, so to anyone that is following, dad is brooding again and I was able to get 2 to survive. I am really starting to think that the light is the problem, so I am going to strip the eggs on the 27th (day 10) and nice them to a separate Rubbermaid 20 gal garbage can with a temperature that is 2 degrees warmer than my tank and it will have a kid so no light gets in with just a powerhead and thermostat to heat

Here are the 2 little guys
IMAG3638.jpeg
IMAG3639.jpeg

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a little bit, so to anyone that is following, dad is brooding again and I was able to get 2 to survive. I am really starting to think that the light is the problem, so I am going to strip the eggs on the 27th (day 10) and nice them to a separate Rubbermaid 20 gal garbage can with a temperature that is 2 degrees warmer than my tank and it will have a kid so no light gets in with just a powerhead and thermostat to heat

Here are the 2 little guys
IMAG3638.jpeg
IMAG3639.jpeg
Hope that works out for ya. I'm no expert but I have read that some males are just bad at carrying to "term". You might have a much easier time with the breeding if you tried a different male.

OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope that works out for ya. I'm no expert but I have read that some males are just bad at carrying to "term". You might have a much easier time with the breeding if you tried a different male.
Ya, out of 14 or so, he has only made 1 full cycle, thats why I am stripping at 10 days, hoping that I can finish the process, I have invested a lot of money in it. It doesn't seem like anyone really knows how to get them to go full term though. I have lost 3 batches already. I am hoping if I incubate them in the dark that will solve the issue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back