Looking for a Banggai breeding expert

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a banggai breeding expert, I have had my banggai carry one out of 20 fry to 'term'. I have now taken the last 2 fry out of his mouth at around day 7 and put them in a cobalt egg rocker. Something seems wrong, they have both died. I don't know if it is the heat from the father that helps them grow healthy, the fact there is no light in his mouth or there is a lack/or to much flow. Looking for someone that knows the banggai breeding well.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a banggai breeding expert, I have had my banggai carry one out of 20 fry to 'term'. I have now taken the last 2 fry out of his mouth at around day 7 and put them in a cobalt egg rocker. Something seems wrong, they have both died. I don't know if it is the heat from the father that helps them grow healthy, the fact there is no light in his mouth or there is a lack/or to much flow. Looking for someone that knows the banggai breeding well.

Hi, I’ve had successes with several species...Bangaii cardinals were my first fish to spawn. I started building, collecting broodstock and conditioning several gobies, clowns etc. Just started paying off recently. Here’s a few picks and a video of some of my stuff I’ve done. I also have a FB group were I post my pics and video as well. @paulspodsaz.
I have a pdf that covers all about Bangaii breeding. I would post it here but not sure how. I can email it.
But the pics I’m posting are of cardinals, striped blennies, and a clown goby spawn.
2008fccd9f0afd5169d05d4a91cfd27c.jpg

de6752f34f956dbef7591ee1b79171e8.jpg

90d328e314290f4c55399ae0c301ce05.jpg

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So it takes 21 days, give or take one or two days, to incubate the eggs. If you can, wait til last minute, capture the father, and place him in a separate take, his own tank. Then just wait. When the last one pops out, he jaw returns to normal. That’s how you’ll know when to put him back in his normal habitat. But again, don’t do it too early. When you capture him, don’t use a net, he may spit eggs out. I have incubated eggs just floating in a Breeder basket in the main tank, but the were a lot more mature than just 7days. Use a clear isolation box and trap him in.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul's pods?

Yeah, just a nickname for my FB site. It’s where I post all my breeding videos. I also have pods and rotifers that I trade or sell like one would a coral or something. I’m not a company or anything, just a hobbyist and a learning one at that, lol. Not a lot of info out there in breeding. A few good books that’s it. Trial and error a lot.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, just a nickname for my FB site. It’s where I post all my breeding videos. I also have pods and rotifers that I trade or sell like one would a coral or something. I’m not a company or anything, just a hobbyist and a learning one at that, lol. Not a lot of info out there in breeding. A few good books that’s it. Trial and error a lot.
Awesome. I'd like your pdf too if you don't mind. Though I think you can upload it. It should work like uploading pictures.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul's pods?

I breed Tisbe, Tiggers, and apocylops copepods. For the breeding. As well as a couple different goes of Rotifers. Its really a lot of fun. Everyone should try. My FB site is @paulspodsaz for my other pics and video.

OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve had successes with several species...Bangaii cardinals were my first fish to spawn. I started building, collecting broodstock and conditioning several gobies, clowns etc. Just started paying off recently. Here’s a few picks and a video of some of my stuff I’ve done. I also have a FB group were I post my pics and video as well. @paulspodsaz.
I have a pdf that covers all about Bangaii breeding. I would post it here but not sure how. I can email it.
But the pics I’m posting are of cardinals, striped blennies, and a clown goby spawn.
2008fccd9f0afd5169d05d4a91cfd27c.jpg

de6752f34f956dbef7591ee1b79171e8.jpg

90d328e314290f4c55399ae0c301ce05.jpg
OK so here's what's going on. This is about my 20th batch, around the 8th batch he carried them to 'term'i caught him around day 22 and he spit them. I had them in a breeder net that ended up falling in the water because suction cups suck. The rest of my fish ate them. So I went and bought a cobalt breeder because 95 percent of the time he eats them around day 14. So the next time he got the eggs in his mouth, I let him carry for 7 days or so then caught him, stripped the eggs and put them in the tumbler. This is where the questions start. So the first batch, some of the eggs were hatching (about 5) but I had a fairly high flow in the tumbler to keep the egg row moving. All the eggs went sterile.

So I have a batch in there now, around day 18 I think. I turned the flow down, some are starting to break away from the row, but none are really looking that good, they all have their eyes but the yoke looks pretty pale. Another thing I did this time was cut a sock and put it over the rocker to keep all the light out. (in dads mouth there is no light) I am not sure what else to do to try and get my success rate above 0 besides use the dad for 20 some days and hope he makes it which usually just turns into a high protein snack for him. My buddy said maybe separate the eggs from the row, I may lose a few but I could at least tumble them correctly. Also is the success rate 0 because dads mouth is warmer than the surrounding water. A lot of questions to try and get this to work but I am determined. Also I did pick up a HOB breeder box so I don't have that problem again.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I'd like your pdf too if you don't mind. Though I think you can upload it. It should work like uploading pictures.

I’d really like to up load but I’ve tried a bunch. I’m not sure what the deal is. I figured out video but don’t have an option for that. I would love if someone could figure out. I’ve had to email to a lot of people and would rather post so everyone can enjoy.

OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the state of them now, you can see one of the ones that broke away that has a head and tail.
IMAG3502.jpeg
IMAG3488.jpeg
IMAG3487.jpeg

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell with pics. But when I had eggs that were spit out, I’ve always incubated them in just a 3$ breeder basket from Walmart. I secure it with a “Magnetfloat”. I don’t know if that was the best thing. However, all of the eggs I’ve had to incubate have been later on and more developed. You’ll loose a few clutches with the whole trial and error.
Another thing to look at is the diet that you’re feeding. Do you use vitamins, selcon, TDO, Fertility Frenzy? This seems to be the current standard of care when breeding. Feed, feed & feed some more. Not more than they can eat. But quality food. Mix it up. I’ve read that shrimp, krill etc, will help with making your eggs more viable as well. Diet is extremely important as they will carry that yolk around for awhile.
I haven’t worked with the egg tumbler, so I can’t say. You’d think it would be the same type of thing.
I’m sorry to hear about the rest of your first clutch there! That sounds like something that would happen to me.
Send me a pm with your email. I can shoot you over the pdf. It’s by the University of Hawaii aquaculture dept.
Heres some of those eggs I was talking about. As u can see, they’re much further along then yours. I think this was at day 18 when he spit some out.
2eaf5cfd7578a89ca480341bbfb02310.jpg

893d2d31b3b31662d96cd9a71f46ff12.jpg
84487479a8c868200a3f9f3b4c657d97.jpg

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I am working with tonight / last few day, the striped
267d51bc141e8a5a34d3750b39dad4b5.jpg
blenny. I only have 6 at the moment and working in hatching the rest.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d really like to up load but I’ve tried a bunch. I’m not sure what the deal is. I figured out video but don’t have an option for that. I would love if someone could figure out. I’ve had to email to a lot of people and would rather post so everyone can enjoy.

From your browser, click "Upload a File" under the reply box. Browse/search for the PDF, then upload.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your browser, click "Upload a File" under the reply box. Browse/search for the PDF, then upload.

I’m using Tapatalk. I’ve been thru all this. When I hit the paper clip, it just takes me back to my picture and video file, just like the other two. I’ll try from my laptop. That might be different. It’s prob a glitch with tapatalk.

OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell with pics. But when I had eggs that were spit out, I’ve always incubated them in just a 3$ breeder basket from Walmart. I secure it with a “Magnetfloat”. I don’t know if that was the best thing. However, all of the eggs I’ve had to incubate have been later on and more developed. You’ll loose a few clutches with the whole trial and error.
Another thing to look at is the diet that you’re feeding. Do you use vitamins, selcon, TDO, Fertility Frenzy? This seems to be the current standard of care when breeding. Feed, feed & feed some more. Not more than they can eat. But quality food. Mix it up. I’ve read that shrimp, krill etc, will help with making your eggs more viable as well. Diet is extremely important as they will carry that yolk around for awhile.
I haven’t worked with the egg tumbler, so I can’t say. You’d think it would be the same type of thing.
I’m sorry to hear about the rest of your first clutch there! That sounds like something that would happen to me.
Send me a pm with your email. I can shoot you over the pdf. It’s by the University of Hawaii aquaculture dept.
Heres some of those eggs I was talking about. As u can see, they’re much further along then yours. I think this was at day 18 when he spit some out.
2eaf5cfd7578a89ca480341bbfb02310.jpg

893d2d31b3b31662d96cd9a71f46ff12.jpg
84487479a8c868200a3f9f3b4c657d97.jpg
So what flow did you use in your tumbler? Did you have it revealed to the light? Or was it dark?

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some good info on Banggai Cardinals, the last one is the PDF.
http://breedersregistry.org/journal...aising-and-breeding-the-banggai-cardinalfish/
http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/f_marini_020799.html
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/how-to-determine-the-sex-of-banggai-cardinalfish

PDF on Aquaculture of Banggai Cardinals:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j2GkAVjV690otY8dKC28GefArIxpWMT6/view?usp=sharing

OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all fine but I have had them breed 20 times, like I said up top, he has only ever carried 1 batch to 'term'. So I bought a cobalt egg rocker to try and get the eggs hatched myself. My major questions have to do with when the eggs are at their most vulnerable stage. Right now the yoke is whitening. They have eyes, some have a tail, and a head. But thats where they usually die. So I am trying to figure out how to get them past that point.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back