Looking for a centerpiece fish for 155g

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey,

I have a 72x24x20 155g SPS tank. Lost my Blue Hippo Tang yesterday after the breaker tripped overnight. Tang had some HLLE, and I don't know that it was super health.

Considering a something to replace it. FWIW, I regretted the Blue Hippo after seeing them in a large reef display at the aquarium in Phoenix. At 5ish years, it was probably 8 or 9 inches...and regularly creating frags off my acro & monti colonies.

Anyway, I am considering what to replace him with. I was thinking an orange shoulder tang b/c they seem to be pretty low aggression, but the size is too much for my tank, I think. Would like a PBT but am concerned about the aggression. I have a yellow tang, and a swallowtail angel...other than that, mostly smaller reef fish that I am not too worried about. The tank is pretty lightly stocked, fish-wise.

Not sold 100% on a tang. But no nippers. Have a sixline, so not sure other wrasses.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure there will be lots of suggestions and I would love to follow along with this one as I am in the same boat with a bit smaller of a tank. I do have a sixline though so I am curious to see what some folks will say!

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Desjardinii Sailfin Tang

the police may come for me, but they are relatively dossal, very attractive, a true center piece type.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the planktivores from the typically "nipper" families. The Genicanthus are often regarded as "100%" reef safe. Similarly the Pyramid butterflies are also considered quite reef safe.

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit risky but also have success stories are the copper band bfs, muelleri bfs , longnose bfs, bannerfish and the tinkeri

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blonde Naso tang would do nice in a tank like that. I have one and based on the research I’ve done they’re one of the more peaceful tangs.

Mmun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I have a 72x24x20 155g SPS tank. Lost my Blue Hippo Tang yesterday after the breaker tripped overnight. Tang had some HLLE, and I don't know that it was super health.

Considering a something to replace it. FWIW, I regretted the Blue Hippo after seeing them in a large reef display at the aquarium in Phoenix. At 5ish years, it was probably 8 or 9 inches...and regularly creating frags off my acro & monti colonies.

Anyway, I am considering what to replace him with. I was thinking an orange shoulder tang b/c they seem to be pretty low aggression, but the size is too much for my tank, I think. Would like a PBT but am concerned about the aggression. I have a yellow tang, and a swallowtail angel...other than that, mostly smaller reef fish that I am not too worried about. The tank is pretty lightly stocked, fish-wise.

Not sold 100% on a tang. But no nippers. Have a sixline, so not sure other wrasses.
Blue jaw trigger, blonde Naso tang, bi color foxface

OP
OP
Rob.In.AZ

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good suggestions. Blonde Naso or Naso get pretty big, no? Bigger than Orange Shoulders?

Any issues mixing Genicanthus?

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnificent Rabbit fish. Once he got settled in, mine is now like a dog begging for food every time I come near the tank. Love both the personality and the coloration.

cropped6672806745771603010.jpg

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the planktivores from the typically "nipper" families. The Genicanthus are often regarded as "100%" reef safe. Similarly the Pyramid butterflies are also considered quite reef safe.
I love my Watanabei Angel's! My male is a tad aggressive in regards to any new fish even remotely similar. However, I am always told this is not normal.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good suggestions. Blonde Naso or Naso get pretty big, no? Bigger than Orange Shoulders?

Any issues mixing Genicanthus?
Oh that can't happen lol the females won't tolerate any competition. I tried. It was ugly. Did not even consider a male. Even my male was brutal to her, I had to take her back to the store. She had been in my mom's tank, so she was super attached to her, I wanted to give it a shot.

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a PBT tang and he is my favorite. Between my 3 tangs (Purple and Yellow tang, being the others) he's the most active, but has never shown aggression. I also second the rabbit fish as well as a good tank mate.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a PBT, and a Regal Angel. PBT is an aggressive fish, but not a problem in a 500 gal tank and the last tang added.
PowderBlueTang2019062403.jpg

Regal angel is such a beautiful smaller of the large angels
RegalAngel2019100901.jpg

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back