Looking for a couple 3D printed parts

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I’m looking for someone to make me a couple simple 3D printed parts. Will be a long the lines of pulleys. They have no detailed specifics except for sizes and they don’t have to be exact.

This is for a new spinning frag rack.

Please convo if interested.

And of course I will be happy to compensate for time and materials.

Thank you!

OP
OP
Jay Z

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Gonna do my test fit this weekend so I will have my sizes after that. Got to get the right rpm’s.

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. We are slow at work right now so having something to design in my abundant free time would be nice lol. I work with CAD for a living so if you send some napkin drawings over I can model something up for you.

OP
OP
Jay Z

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I did the rough drawings. Excuse the hand writing. My hand don’t work like they use to.

I’ve already sourced titanium balls (8 per base) for the base, abs shaft (8mm) 1” wide silicon drive belt and some mach up aluminum parts.

Parts in question are the base plate to go on the bottom of the tank, drive pulley, motor mount, and main pulley. What I have now will work excellent for the main pulley but could be upgraded to match.

Base plate could be substituted with suction cup back mounts for those with existing substrate in their tanks.

If you need money or me to send Mach up parts let me know.

Would be cool if we could get a group effort on this. I will post up what parts are needed if so.
2FBEAA71-43A0-4106-AC2D-A0F8D809ADA0.jpeg
482FF928-2EE5-4A70-898F-4E41C2F5004E.jpeg
BAA37A5A-55E7-4712-A7AD-6D35525BDFEA.jpeg
66643B14-F620-45EE-833E-909A0D09E1AE.jpeg
F658D84E-D347-4580-8551-910D96C7000D.jpeg
EEA243E4-3155-46A1-9993-80713487469E.jpeg
737E1C3C-1B83-4264-B656-F16F666A09AF.jpeg
3A93DABF-4352-490B-9C0B-5AC34566F8B8.jpeg

I already know it works, spins 25lbs of rock no problem. Just want some reef safe parts so the community can enjoy the same thing I will be enjoying. Kind of like watching one of the spinning snow globes but with corals, plus it will randomize flow and equal out the light on different angles.

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size silicone belt is that? I need the circumference. Also, whats your plan for the titanium balls? Are you wanting to build a bearing track into the base or do you have a separate system in mind that would attach to the base? Last note, the large pulley shouldn't need any teeth or anything. The friction from the belt should be more than enough.

OP
OP
Jay Z

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Belt is 1” wide. It confirms nicely to curves. No teeth needed. It’s a 12” belt.

Found a excellent all plastic lazy Susan that should suffice on its own. Just changed out the metal balls with titanium’s.

Pulley will be going on top of it.

If wanting to do the base with a race the titanium’s are 7.95 mm. Has 8 in it now. I’ll post up a pic and dimensions when I get home from work. Will be around 5-6.

OP
OP
Jay Z

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want actual parts on hand just convo me your address. I’ll amazon the whole kit over for you to work off of. Biggest challenge looked like the motor mount.

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I think I'm starting to understand this a little better. If you are using a lazy susan for the bearings and mounting the drive pulley on top of that, you can cut down the lazy susan so its not so wide since you wont be able to use that space anyway with the pulley there. I assume the clear thing under the pulley in your picture is the lazy susan. There also needs to be some kind of bearing for the drive shaft at its base. Do you have a plastic sheet that each base will connect to or are you wanting more of a one piece base that holds both pulleys? Also what speed do you want them to rotate at? I would assume somewhere around 1-2 rpm.

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, the motor mount is the easiest lol. Just looked up some schematics online for that motor.
The biggest challenge is the base and pulley system. I'm a product engineer so I cant help but think of 100 ways to design this to be flexible in size (account for different tank widths and heights). I think I will end up with two designs; one that uses your lazy susan and another that is completely printed.
Here is what you had for the motor mount. I'm gonna play around with its design a little to minimize the profile in the tank and provide more support.
I don't think I will need you to send me any parts.
1564758963315.png

OP
OP
Jay Z

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 piece base for the pulleys would be awesome. I didn’t want to overwhelm anyone off the get go. Lazy Susan is a 2 piece. Has its own separate race inside it. Just a abs piece with 8 holes for bearings.

The way it’s built you it comes apart with 2 clips. The new pulley could be made to replace the top on it now and would snap right on. I went with the 8” Susan. They come in 7,8, and 9. Figured a little wider would be better for stability.

Motor right now is 35 rpm with a controller that will let it get down to 1 rpm.

I figure 1-2 rpm would be ideal for show. But I also suspect being able to get to 10-15 may be able to replace power heads with the reverse motor variable setup. Kind of like a big water tornado. Plus I’m really interested to see what kind of sps growth you would get from the centrifugal force.

OP
OP
Jay Z

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the base. It has to 3 parts. Top and bottom split in the middle (running side seam) the a separate piece the bearings are plugged into. It has a double split circle plastic clip that hold the 2 together.

And belts go 12”, 18”, and 24”. 12” is capable of stretching to 30”. 2.5x it’s original.
F7035E5E-CB43-469D-97E6-FBF546F42F2D.png

OP
OP
Jay Z

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if this is something you want to manufacture and sell, have at it. I just wanted to see this project get started. You can have the rights to it and name it!

OP
OP
Jay Z

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going for the larger base on mine for my new build. Spinning a whole rock tower.

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably end up putting everything on thinkiverse and grabcad for anyone to print. I already have a job, my 3D printing and design is more for fun lol. Plus I'm a strong advocate for open source.
I'm looking into remaking your design using these bearings and the rest fully printed. The problem with the lazy susan is it puts the platform bearings above the pulley. This means you would have the LS, then the pulley on top of that, then another platform on that to hold the rock.
It's good that you can control the motor, we can make the platform pulley have a smaller diameter that way.

OP
OP
Jay Z

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably end up putting everything on thinkiverse and grabcad for anyone to print. I already have a job, my 3D printing and design is more for fun lol. Plus I'm a strong advocate for open source.
I'm looking into remaking your design using these bearings and the rest fully printed. The problem with the lazy susan is it puts the platform bearings above the pulley. This means you would have the LS, then the pulley on top of that, then another platform on that to hold the rock.
It's good that you can control the motor, we can make the platform pulley have a smaller diameter that way.
Awesome find on the bearings and sharing!

For my build I was looking for the extra gap between the bottom and the rock. Had some secret plans.

I know I designed this build for my setup I was going after and know that won’t apply to the other 95% looking for a spinning rack.

Appreciate the time and effort on it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back