Looking for a healthy Ritteri Anemone

Nolan Shinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for any suggestions on reputable sources for getting a healthy (preferably purple foot) Heteractis magnifica. I've kept RBT's for several years without any problems, but they're easy to find locally. Ritteri not so much.

Anyone with Ritteri interested in selling a 4-6" one or have any recommendations for the best spot to source them? If at all possible I'd like to get one that split in a system rather than wild caught, but I'm open to suggestions or ideas...

Magnificent-Sea-anemone.jpg

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently bringing in magnifica anemones and QTing, treating, and acclimating them into captive conditions. Once I have fully treated them and nursed them to full health and color I will be reselling them. I have a couple purple based ones with green tentacles at the time, a pink foot one and a violet foot one. I'll be bringing in more as I sell the healthy ones to keep a constant rotation of anemones. I only quarantine a couple at a time to ensure I give them all plenty of attention. PM me if you're still interested in finding healthy ones.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also search for magnifica as that is really the more appropriate ID, lately many LFS have been calling them ritteri, not sure why, and in my last search looking for mags I had an LFS say nope, no mags, just BTA's and ritteri's!lol

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also search for magnifica as that is really the more appropriate ID, lately many LFS have been calling them ritteri, not sure why, and in my last search looking for mags I had an LFS say nope, no mags, just BTA's and ritteri's!lol

That's when you should find a new LFS [emoji23]

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's when you should find a new LFS [emoji23]

Eh, well I'll cut them some slack on this one, I don't think a lot of LFS are very well educated when it comes to nems, and probably a collector sold them w/ that ID, but having both ID's certainly adds to confusion.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fellow anemone keeper on another popular site defined this very well(Roewer)

Radianthus ritteri was the "old" incorrect scientific name it was (and still is) traded under.

The "ritteri" species name goes back to a description by Kwietniewski in 1897 as Antheopsis ritteri.

The name it was first described under was: Actinia magnifica by Quoy & Gaimard in 1833. Since this predates all other descriptions the valid species name is and always will be "magnifica"

Fautin then placed it into the genus Heteractis.
So the currently correct scientific name is: Heteractis magnifica (Quoy & Gaimard, 1833).

While the genus may at some point change again, the correct species will always be "magnifica".

So calling it magnifica is correct while ritteri is an incorrect synonym

AD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I may have a few to let go soon if anyone is interested?

Da mamba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently bringing in magnifica anemones and QTing, treating, and acclimating them into captive conditions. Once I have fully treated them and nursed them to full health and color I will be reselling them. I have a couple purple based ones with green tentacles at the time, a pink foot one and a violet foot one. I'll be bringing in more as I sell the healthy ones to keep a constant rotation of anemones. I only quarantine a couple at a time to ensure I give them all plenty of attention. PM me if you're still interested in finding healthy ones.
Can I pm you my tank readings and you tell me what I need to change in order to keep this amazing animal? Also what type of light are you running?

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I pm you my tank readings and you tell me what I need to change in order to keep this amazing animal? Also what type of light are you running?

Absolutely. Generally speaking you need a mature cycled tank with large water volume and good stability. For lighting they like very high light and flow. MH and LED work well, I have also kept them under T5, so really any light type works well as long as the intensity is high enough and they're healthy. The key I've found is just getting a healthy one, once it's happy you typically don't see any issues.

Da mamba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. Generally speaking you need a mature cycled tank with large water volume and good stability. For lighting they like very high light and flow. MH and LED work well, I have also kept them under T5, so really any light type works well as long as the intensity is high enough and they're healthy. The key I've found is just getting a healthy one, once it's happy you typically don't see any issues.
Ok thank you

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back