Looking for a little guidance

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.. hope everyone is having an awesome morning with their fish gang. :) I had a serious question that hopefully won't need much thought but hoping to hear some real advice.

I purchased a lemon peel angel. Flame angel..midas blenny and clownfish. All placed in a 35 gallon qt with sponge air filter and heater with few pieces of pvc. All looked healthy in the beginning until the clownfish started showing symptoms of brook.. the lemon peel was super energetic but after the clownfish broke out so did the lemon peel. Flame angel and midas stayed active and never showed signs of brook. Today is day 16 of dosing metroplex directly to the water non binded and also did a 90 min ruby rally bath about 6 days into metro treatment and transfered to new tank. All symptoms of brook are gone and clownfish is back to normal but here's the issue.
My lemon peel is getting his energy back but not fully just yet but now I'm seeing large white tufts at the edges of the fin. (2 days ago) Too big to be ich or any other parasites that leave small spots...my only guess would be lymphocystis. It started on the right fin at the edge..later the same day it fell off and left a hole at the edge where it was attached to. As of today there's another large white cotton at the tail of the the lemon peel. I guess my question is if he has lympho would it be wise to add him to my DT and risk infecting my other fish in the future if that's possible or should I euthanize to prevent spread :( and help would be greatly appreciated

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all.. hope everyone is having an awesome morning with their fish gang. :) I had a serious question that hopefully won't need much thought but hoping to hear some real advice.

I purchased a lemon peel angel. Flame angel..midas blenny and clownfish. All placed in a 35 gallon qt with sponge air filter and heater with few pieces of pvc. All looked healthy in the beginning until the clownfish started showing symptoms of brook.. the lemon peel was super energetic but after the clownfish broke out so did the lemon peel. Flame angel and midas stayed active and never showed signs of brook. Today is day 16 of dosing metroplex directly to the water non binded and also did a 90 min ruby rally bath about 6 days into metro treatment and transfered to new tank. All symptoms of brook are gone and clownfish is back to normal but here's the issue.
My lemon peel is getting his energy back but not fully just yet but now I'm seeing large white tufts at the edges of the fin. (2 days ago) Too big to be ich or any other parasites that leave small spots...my only guess would be lymphocystis. It started on the right fin at the edge..later the same day it fell off and left a hole at the edge where it was attached to. As of today there's another large white cotton at the tail of the the lemon peel. I guess my question is if he has lympho would it be wise to add him to my DT and risk infecting my other fish in the future if that's possible or should I euthanize to prevent spread :( and help would be greatly appreciated
Pic and/or video will be helpful in assessing the fish. I do not recommend Metro in the water especially if applied at high level . These guys best treated with chelated coper even at level 2.0. in quarantine with added oxygen.
I suspect water quality is playing a role.

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic and/or video will be helpful in assessing the fish. I do not recommend Metro in the water especially if applied at high level . These guys best treated with chelated coper even at level 2.0. in quarantine with added oxygen.
Yes I can agree I haven't changed the water in a good week and with only a sponge filter I know the water is dirty. I've been so busy and inconveniently ran out of salt as well but in headed to get some today.. I will post a picture and hopefully yal can see. But if it is lympho should I have to worry about my DT being infected? I didn't know metro wasn't good with angels. I've been dosing the recommended 1 level scoop for 10 gallons. Also did ruby rally bath on day 6

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymphocytosis is generally not harmful to the fish - but it acts as an indicator that something else is wrong. It’s pretty common for angels to break out after transferring to a new tank or in qt. Post some pics to confirm.
Yes my water quality I will say is not great buy assuming I fix that issue will it be wise to add to the DT once it's cleared? Will try to post pic below

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see at tip of bottom fin by the tail almost like it's hanging off

20230330_091629.jpg

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted pic below hopefully you can see

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You can see at tip of bottom fin by the tail almost like it's hanging off

20230330_091629.jpg
This does appear to be lympho and is often associated with poor water quality and when i say poor, as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate. Especially in quarantine, you want to monitor ammonia levels with a reliable test kit. If Api, you may be getting false readings.
This is viral and not parasitical. With improved water quality and even diet, this will dislodge on its own. Feed diets with aminos and omegas which help with this, such as LRS Fish Frenzy and marine cuisine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does look like lymphocystis, but are you concerned keeping a flame and lemonpeel together in that small of a tank?
Jay

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does appear to be lympho and is often associated with poor water quality and when i say poor, as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate. Especially in quarantine, you want to monitor ammonia levels with a reliable test kit. If Api, you may be getting false readings.
This is viral and not parasitical. With improved water quality and even diet, this will dislodge on its own. Feed diets with aminos and omegas which help with this, such as LRS Fish Frenzy and marine cuisine
Okay thank you so much @vetteguy. Exactly what I needed !!! :)

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does look like lymphocystis, but are you concerned keeping a flame and lemonpeel together in that small of a tank?
Jay
Ok thank you for the confirmation Jay!!!! I was concerned at first but the two things I had in my arsenal were adding them together and also a good old fashion egg crate to separate if needed. They have been best friends since day 1 not one sign of aggression so far. (I know that's lucky lol) but this is just QT ...I'm more worried about them going into my 180 DT with my coral beauty who seems to pick lots of fights lol. I will pull him if he goes rouge :)

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey vetteguy if you don't mind. I did have one more serious question. Long story short. My DT got Uronema from an anthias I got. It was a new DT only a month old. I attacked uronema with metroplex in the DT and in return it payed me back by killing 8 of my babies all in the chromis damsel family including a clownfish. So I let the hurricane pass and now my fish coinhabit with it because I can't bleach everything. Being that this lemon peel is in this weakened state. Would he get infected with Uronema even though my other fish are living just fine with it? I'll post one of my fish below for confirmation of Uronema (sunrise dottyback)

Attachments

• 20230130_182039.jpg
    20230130_182039.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 28

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey vetteguy if you don't mind. I did have one more serious question. Long story short. My DT got Uronema from an anthias I got. It was a new DT only a month old. I attacked uronema with metroplex in the DT and in return it payed me back by killing 8 of my babies all in the chromis damsel family including a clownfish. So I let the hurricane pass and now my fish coinhabit with it because I can't bleach everything. Being that this lemon peel is in this weakened state. Would he get infected with Uronema even though my other fish are living just fine with it? I'll post one of my fish below for confirmation of Uronema (sunrise dottyback)
It should not but disease is unpredictable. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and waste so besides treatment , be sure to maintain a clean tank by removing waste daily.

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should not but disease is unpredictable. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and waste so besides treatment , be sure to maintain a clean tank by removing waste daily.
How does one even do that? The tank is so large lol.. Unpredictable is my concern. I'll just roll the dice and update this thread with results for future implications if needed. Thanks again. You were a huge help!

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is so crazy to me is I just joined the saltwater family 9 months ago and I bought all my fish from petco and just dumped them in with no issues for months... then I try to go to a lfs and also online vendors and since doing that. In the last 5-6months I've had to fight ich..then flukes.. then uronema..and now brook and lympho. All these parasites and diseases from breaking my loyalty to petco haha :) ..I've been on the fish disease forum so much its overwhelming lol. But thanks to yals great advice especially yours I don't have to do much searching...only fight I lost was uronema which sucks lol because I'm persistent and with this there's little to no options. Anyway thanks again vette

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What is so crazy to me is I just joined the saltwater family 9 months ago and I bought all my fish from petco and just dumped them in with no issues for months... then I try to go to a lfs and also online vendors and since doing that. In the last 5-6months I've had to fight ich..then flukes.. then uronema..and now brook and lympho. All these parasites and diseases from breaking my loyalty to petco haha :) ..I've been on the fish disease forum so much its overwhelming lol. But thanks to yals great advice especially yours I don't have to do much searching...only fight I lost was uronema which sucks lol because I'm persistent and with this there's little to no options. Anyway thanks again vette
It may be coincidence but resorts to power of Quarantine and at Minimum baths with formalin or ruby Rally pro which acts as a disinfectant
Hang in there. Dont for a second think I didnt have these issues in my early years
It was so bad that I had a pet store that would sell me a dead fish and I lost fish weekly and every time i had company come over, I would buy 3-4 small fish to have something in my tank alive to show. Then down the road realized ich and all we had was a joke medication called Tera-Oomed but it worked and 37-38 years later, how things have changed

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 hey bud.. wanted to update and hopefully get some advice from you... the day we talked I did another ruby rally dip on my fish and put them into a new tank..the next morning I dosed prazipro to the water. I have sponge filter and powerhead pointed to the surface...the lympho went away on the angelfish and everything seemed fine.. yesterday morning I found my angelfish stuck to the powerhead passed away :( .. I'm thinking your advice of metro and angelfish is what might have done it but can't say for sure. All three other fish including flame angel are still alive but after since yesterday the flame angel is showing a bit of torn fin and minor flashing... never flashed before. And now my clown has a white patch on his tail fin. Not hanging off the edge like the lympho was. Any idea what could be going on? Maybe prazi resistant flukes? I'm lost at this point.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back