LOOKING FOR A VERY ACTIVE FISH

markyc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’m looking to add a very active fish to give my 20 gallon tank some more life. I have 2 clown fish in now along with 3 shrimp some hermit crabs and snails. Would like the something peaceful. Any suggestions? Would love to hear your guys thoughts! Thanks!!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’m looking to add a very active fish to give my 20 gallon tank some more life. I have 2 clown fish in now along with 3 shrimp some hermit crabs and snails. Would like the something peaceful. Any suggestions? Would love to hear your guys thoughts! Thanks!!!
What species of clownfish?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whitespotted Pygmy filefish is super active. They have fun personalities too. They can change colors and patterns.

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a yellow coris wrasse will add amazing colour to your tank extremely active and it will be great fun to watch it dive into your sand when it is scared or goes to sleep!

OP
OP
M

markyc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a yellow coris wrasse will add amazing colour to your tank extremely active and it will be great fun to watch it dive into your sand when it is scared or goes to sleep!
Will it bother/eat shrimp, snails, hermit crabs?

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it bother/eat shrimp, snails, hermit crabs?

They get pretty big for a 20g (5-6" long) and would need more room. I have one in my 75 gallon and it's all over the place. Plus with many super active fish you need a screen top because they tend to be jumpers.

If you want a wrasse for the 20g and have a top the carpenter's wrasse is very active and a great community fish.

Carpenters-Flasher-Wrasse-reefs-1-e1593311387862.jpg

Neon dotty's are fairly active and have striking color.

10222_neon-dottyback-captive-bred_1.jpg

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns virtually never stop moving. I would suggest also one of the fanged blenny species - out in the open water column, get along well with others, good appetite, won't eat corals.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, you’d probably be safer going with more inactive fish. Clowns can get really mean once they mature and anything out in their territory (the open water) is a threat, a threat which must be eliminated. Less active fish have a much better chance of avoiding the clowns’ wrath and also give the look of a more rounded ecosystem.
Something like a tailspot blenny or a shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp will still be visible but also stay away from the clowns.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put an active fish in 20 gallons. Something that sits around and is small would be more appropriate. Like a yellow clown goby.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put an active fish in 20 gallons. Something that sits around and is small would be more appropriate. Like a yellow clown goby.
That's a good point. What I would also consider is something that doesn't get much love like a stone fish. Wouldn't be compatible with anything else, but they're super cool and unloved.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get pretty big for a 20g (5-6" long) and would need more room. I have one in my 75 gallon and it's all over the place. Plus with many super active fish you need a screen top because they tend to be jumpers.

If you want a wrasse for the 20g and have a top the carpenter's wrasse is very active and a great community fish.

Carpenters-Flasher-Wrasse-reefs-1-e1593311387862.jpg

Neon dotty's are fairly active and have striking color.

10222_neon-dottyback-captive-bred_1.jpg
Carpenters need a bigger tank than a Yellow coris IMHO. This is because they swim a lot more than people just assume, they ideally need 4’ tanks to be happy and not stress. Temporarily you could have a species of fairy or leopard wrasse though. My naoko is going on 1 year of being in my tank and is taking it VERY slowly. Also have a blue star in there (Same reason as the naoko - Grow out tank) and she has been in there since September as a .25” wrasse, now she’s about 0.75”.
88582AE0-8EE0-4AE5-B610-8050F56ACDF6.jpeg

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I've had enough problems with clowns in 120 gallons. I would expect them to claim all of 20 gallons quick, then you never know if they will accept anything else in "their" territory. Odds are there will be trouble.

Someone made a funny comment for a similar situation. You'll probably end up with a suspect, witness, and a murder victim.

Back