Looking for corals in Kissimmee/Orlando

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I have a 75 gallon Red Sea reefer that has been running for about a year. I've had good luck with keeping fish but when it comes to corals I'm still getting the hang of things. Im always spending money at all of my local fish stores here in central Florida and although they are awesome stores I'm
Just tired of spending so much money.I was wondering if there are any local reefers in the Kissimmee/ Orlando area with some nice reasonable priced softies/zoas.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I have a 75 gallon Red Sea reefer that has been running for about a year. I've had good luck with keeping fish but when it comes to corals I'm still getting the hang of things. Im always spending money at all of my local fish stores here in central Florida and although they are awesome stores I'm
Just tired of spending so much money.I was wondering if there are any local reefers in the Kissimmee/ Orlando area with some nice reasonable priced softies/zoas.

Let's figure out why you're not having luck with corals before we introduce any more.

Have you tested your water lately? If so, please share parameters and we could give suggestions as to what will work!

Ps. Welcome to south central! [emoji869][emoji6][emoji41]

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's figure out why you're not having luck with corals before we introduce any more.

Have you tested your water lately? If so, please share parameters and we could give suggestions as to what will work!

Ps. Welcome to south central! [emoji869][emoji6][emoji41]
Hello
I have everything needed for a successful reef tank
From test kits,dosing pumps,kessil lighting,gyre wave makers, 1 size up protein skimmer,aquaforest salt and for the most part stable parameters. It's just been a learning experience and I know a tank needs time to mature and I've been getting corals that are harder to keep for beginners so now I'm more focused on softies.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I have everything needed for a successful reef tank
From test kits,dosing pumps,kessil lighting,gyre wave makers, 1 size up protein skimmer,aquaforest salt and for the most part stable parameters. It's just been a learning experience and I know a tank needs time to mature and I've been getting corals that are harder to keep for beginners so now I'm more focused on softies.

Ok. Let's see those test results and what's your lighting schedule and intensity settings for the kessil. [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Let's see those test results and what's your lighting schedule and intensity settings for the kessil. [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

As of 12-25-16
Salinity 1.026
Alk 9.5
Ca 450
Mag 1440
Nitrate 10+
Phosphate 0.3
Kessils ramp up from 11 am to 10 pm from 5% intensity to 65% max then back down from blues to whites and back to blues.

epstein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NITRATE 10+???????? Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ... Theres one glaring problem

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of 12-25-16
Salinity 1.026
Alk 9.5
Ca 450
Mag 1440
Nitrate 10+
Phosphate 0.3
Kessils ramp up from 11 am to 10 pm from 5% intensity to 65% max then back down from blues to whites and back to blues.

Nitrate is super high, everything else is good. Magnesium will come down in time along with alkalinity and calcium.

The lighting schedule and intensity seems ok for the depth of your tank.

What type of salt mix are you using? And what is the source of water? I'd also get in the tank and look for someone or something decomposing. [emoji6]

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate is super high, everything else is good. Magnesium will come down in time along with alkalinity and calcium.

The lighting schedule and intensity seems ok for the depth of your tank.

What type of salt mix are you using? And what is the source of water? I'd also get in the tank and look for someone or something decomposing. [emoji6]
Aquaforest reef salt
Just switched from Red Sea coral pro
I use a BRS ro/di dual
Membrane from r water changes

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaforest reef salt
Just switched from Red Sea coral pro
I use a BRS ro/di dual
Membrane from r water changes

Oy! Let's get to the bottom of the nitrate issue. The membrane is new? Do you have a built in TDS meter? Got any missing inhabitants? What's the rock to water volume ratio? And do you have some sort of bio-media running somewhere? An old filter sock?

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and what have you got stocked in the tank? Fish and critters please.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nitrate of 10 does not seem high to me.
Same thing I've heard, specially
Oy! Let's get to the bottom of the nitrate issue. The membrane is new? Do you have a built in TDS meter? Got any missing inhabitants? What's the rock to water volume ratio? And do you have some sort of bio-media running somewhere? An old filter sock?
TDS read 0
I forgot to
Mention I run a BRS carbon reactor
I clean out my 2 filter socks every week
No missing inverts

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4487.JPG

TDS read 0
I forgot to
No missing inverts

TDS read 0
I forgot to
No missing inverts
Blue hippo
Mellanarus wrasse
2 clowns
6 chromis
PJ cardinal
Flame hawk
Big Queen conch
8 hermit crabs
About 75 pounds of live rock I know I'm overstocked

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TDS read 0
I forgot to
No missing inverts

I've read the same, and after the years I've found that below 10 is ok, and in some instances it becomes food. But above the threshold it turns toxic.

Since you're interested in corals that are ok with higher nitrates I'd suggest something like micromussa/acanthastrea. They like the water on the dirty side. Zoa's and palys do pretty well in those environments too, as long as nothing is munching away at them. I'd stay away from Xenia and clove polyps because they end up trampling over everything else.

On a side note, how many lights do you have? Is it the AP-700, 350-360 or 150-60?

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a tub for cycling rock?

Nice setup BTW. [emoji106]

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the reactor tumbling carbon, or do you have it packed for flow through. I'm not so keen on the carbon tumbling because to breaks the carbon down into fine particles.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the reactor tumbling carbon, or do you have it packed for flow through. I'm not so keen on the carbon tumbling because to breaks the carbon down into fine particles.
Thanks!!

The carbon doesn't tumble at all.
Tube for cycling rock?
Not sure what that is

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the same, and after the years I've found that below 10 is ok, and in some instances it becomes food. But above the threshold it turns toxic.

Since you're interested in corals that are ok with higher nitrates I'd suggest something like micromussa/acanthastrea. They like the water on the dirty side. Zoa's and palys do pretty well in those environments too, as long as nothing is munching away at them. I'd stay away from Xenia and clove polyps because they end up trampling over everything else.

On a side note, how many lights do you have? Is it the AP-700, 350-360 or 150-60?
I do have clove polyps but they haven't grown any. :-(

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%

Back