OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the same, and after the years I've found that below 10 is ok, and in some instances it becomes food. But above the threshold it turns toxic.

Since you're interested in corals that are ok with higher nitrates I'd suggest something like micromussa/acanthastrea. They like the water on the dirty side. Zoa's and palys do pretty well in those environments too, as long as nothing is munching away at them. I'd stay away from Xenia and clove polyps because they end up trampling over everything else.

On a side note, how many lights do you have? Is it the AP-700, 350-360 or 150-60?
My Kessils are 360 we

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!

The carbon doesn't tumble at all.
Tube for cycling rock?
Not sure what that is

Tub, not tube. Autocorrect still hates me after all these years. I'd purchase more rock. It doesn't have to be live at the get go. Use a large Rubbermaid tub with a lid. Mix water and add a small pump. Start packing the rock and grab some bacteria in a bottle. Circulate the water in the closed tub for a month and start adding it to the display.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tub, not tube. Autocorrect still hates me after all these years. I'd purchase more rock. It doesn't have to be live at the get go. Use a large Rubbermaid tub with a lid. Mix water and add a small pump. Start packing the rock and grab some bacteria in a bottle. Circulate the water in the closed tub for a month and start adding it to the display.
Oh
I have some more rock in the sump as well.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about your set up. What do you do different from mine? Do you have a pic?

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the cycling tub I catch grief about. [emoji12]
IMG_2335.JPG

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2176.JPG
an overhead view.
IMG_2020.JPG

My objective was to be successful with the smallest water volume first this time around. Then, when we move into our new place I'd setup something a bit bigger.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
I have no coralline algae
Why do you get grief about your tub?

Let's work on that, others will say it's a nuisance algae, but I say otherwise. [emoji6]

As for the tub, it's "another thing" that's supposedly "in the way!" And I'm like LOLOLOLOL! And walk slowly away. [emoji6][emoji41][emoji106][emoji1611][emoji319]

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's work on that, others will say it's a nuisance algae, but I say otherwise. [emoji6]

As for the tub, it's "another thing" that's supposedly "in the way!" And I'm like LOLOLOLOL! And walk slowly away. [emoji6][emoji41][emoji106][emoji1611][emoji319]
lol!!
How can I add coralline though?
Is it any good though??? Or a goI'd sign??

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol!!
How can I add coralline though?
Is it any good though??? Or a goI'd sign??

To me, it's a sign you've got water parameters under stable control. Forgot to ask, do you have a controller? At least for temperature.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that stability is key to being successful. [emoji6]

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a heater
Temp is at 78 is used to be higher many months ago and was adviced to lower it

That's great advice since things start to happen when you climb much above 80. I'll bet you're having temperature and pH swings more than you know. All of that contributes to coral demise. [emoji53]

Correction: add alkalinity to the swing list.

Let's get you started with stability and reducing the stresses in the tank. First thing I'd add is more rock. You can go the route I did, by purchasing engineered live rock and save yourself the hassle of curing the rock for pests.
http://realreefrock.com
Here's what I used and now swear by. In the months since setup life of all sorts has colonized every little space.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%

Back