OP
OP
mchippo

mchippo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of people using torch lighters to kill pests, though you'll also have to take each rock that has them out of the tank. If you do this you'll most likely kill off all the coraline, pods on the rock and possibly other corals(if you hit them with the flame), but you could kill off most of polyps/hydroids within a few days. Then I would use epoxy on the ones that are too close to the corals to use the lighter. But if they are all over the sides of the tank you'll have to use a razor or sponge to get them off the tank, doing this would require draining the tank unless you use a water vac leading to the sump, for that you'll need a filter sock on the sump side of the vac to catch the remnants.

An interesting suggestion. If only they were not so close to my corals. I would likely kill my corals...thanks

OP
OP
mchippo

mchippo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
emerald crab will eat GSP .. i have a sump with 10 of them in it .. if you want to try that i might be able to ship you one or two .. i know when i had GSP in my tank i added 2 emerald and they mowed right through it then i took them out ..

They are not GSP. However, I do not have any emerald crabs in my tank. I will get a few and see if they take an interest in the star polyps...I will keep you posted.

OP
OP
mchippo

mchippo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they are star polyps? From your description ( They are not on a carpet. They spread via thin, vein like "roots." ) they sound like Hydroids to me. Many Hydroids look like a star polyps and they reproduce very quickly.

You may be right. I will take pictures and post tomorrow. Please stay tuned...thanks!

OP
OP
mchippo

mchippo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this nudi

Phyllodesmium briareum Nudibranch

Apparently a natural predator of em

I would love to try this guy. I found him in my search for a solution...see the link in my original post. Can anyone help me get a few of these to try?

OP
OP
mchippo

mchippo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like Bryopsis you need to run carbon in your reactor or sump and cut your lighting back to half of what your running it now. I had the same problem, this worked for me

Thanks...its not bryopsis and I do run carbon.

OP
OP
mchippo

mchippo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sound like you might have Myrionema amboinense in your tank . It's highly unlikely you will be able to manually or kalk paste to completely eliminate them. One sure fire natural control for this hydriod is the Lynx nudibranch. However, you will need to plan ahead and move the nudibranch out when all hydroids are consumed
[video=youtube;i1Hk5Sg8JG4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Hk5Sg8JG4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

I would be willing to try this....does anyone know where I can get one or two?

pumarjr

Reef-a-Holic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a problem, but you have yet to post a pic? you give the answer of thx for your answer but no thx to the solution, you will have to expect to have a few casualties in this endevour. you offer $500 but are unwilling again to take a few pics of this 8' tank to show us this alleged infestation of your tank. Sounds like your a fisherman fishing for answers you've gotten elsewhere and was hoping that you would receive different answers here. sorry, but if your tank is that badly infested with anything it will take a good amount of time to remove them, then you have to worry about them reoccurring. once an invader enters your system and reproduces to that extent, there are but just a few options for complete removal. How did they ever get that outta hand? I really hope you find a viable solution to your dilemma, sadly many here will give you all the info you need without ever charging a dime, altho, being that most are in need of something new, they would only hope to give you that magic answer in hopes of receiving your alluring payment, GL on that tho.

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b3afd54e.jpg

Big Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears every suggestion has been deemed unpractical or impossible by the op. If it was my tank I'd be doing everything I could to remedy the situation or at least a few of those ideas already suggested. Just seems like the OP is giving all the reasons why suggestions won't work without ever trying.​

pumarjr

Reef-a-Holic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, to my surprise, no pic's yet. LOL. save your time and thought process. he's obviously fishing for help without a general idea, worse even, he came here luring folks into helping him with his terrible issue yet he's unable to provide a clear description to his infestation, better yet, the pic's are always coming. LOL.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $500 ill eat all of it!! NOM NOM NOM!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, to my surprise, no pic's yet. LOL. save your time and thought process. he's obviously fishing for help without a general idea, worse even, he came here luring folks into helping him with his terrible issue yet he's unable to provide a clear description to his infestation, better yet, the pic's are always coming. LOL.

lOL so who gets the $500 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 66 45.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back