Looking for help with flow--powerhead placement suggestions

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgrade from a 40gallon AIO cube which had a pretty small display making flow very straightforward to a 4 foot 75 gallon tank a couple of months ago and just don't feel like I've got the flow nailed down. Looking for suggestions on how to place my powerheads or if I need to look at more/different options. I've got a mixed reef and my torches and aveopora don't really extend their polyps any more which I'm assuming is related to flow.

Here is the front view of my tank with some hopefully helpful labels. My general plan so far has been a euphylia garden on the right, SPS on the left, LPS in the middle, and softies along the bottom. Of course this won't be firm rule, just a starting point as I go. and may help with flow placement.

labeled.png

I missed labeling it, but you can see my Aveopora all withdrawn right beside the GSP up from and center. This was the second location I've tried. Yesterday I moved it between the middle and right rocks to see if it was getting too much flow and maybe being between the rocks would lessen it and it would come out.

Here is the view looking down the tank from that left side with the Nero and SPS corals.

IMG_0824.JPG

Here is the view looking down from the right side with the Jebao.

IMG_0825.JPG

Going in my general idea here is that the Jebao is pointing down the back to help keep that area stirred up moving and the Nero is cranked up to random flow pattern from like 50% to 90% power I think (not by the tank right now to check exact schedule, hate that requirement in their app) and is pointed a little bit at the rocks where the SPS is. Not sure if this is enough/too much/placed well/poorly? Do I need to swap in a gyre at this length? Flow is confusing to me. o_O

Bonus: If you have any suggestions on coral placements as well, I'm open. I love my plans for torches and hammers and stuff on the big rock structure to the right but I'm firm on any other ideas. I have an acan on that frag rack that really needs to get settled into a home and some Zoas that I'm about ready to get rid of because I just don't know that I like them enough to want them taking over any structures/running out of room for dedicated islands with the GPS/Xenia/Cespitularia already kind of needing them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I upgrade from a 40gallon AIO cube which had a pretty small display making flow very straightforward to a 4 foot 75 gallon tank a couple of months ago and just don't feel like I've got the flow nailed down. Looking for suggestions on how to place my powerheads or if I need to look at more/different options. I've got a mixed reef and my torches and aveopora don't really extend their polyps any more which I'm assuming is related to flow.

Here is the front view of my tank with some hopefully helpful labels. My general plan so far has been a euphylia garden on the right, SPS on the left, LPS in the middle, and softies along the bottom. Of course this won't be firm rule, just a starting point as I go. and may help with flow placement.

labeled.png

I missed labeling it, but you can see my Aveopora all withdrawn right beside the GSP up from and center. This was the second location I've tried. Yesterday I moved it between the middle and right rocks to see if it was getting too much flow and maybe being between the rocks would lessen it and it would come out.

Here is the view looking down the tank from that left side with the Nero and SPS corals.

IMG_0824.JPG

Here is the view looking down from the right side with the Jebao.

IMG_0825.JPG

Going in my general idea here is that the Jebao is pointing down the back to help keep that area stirred up moving and the Nero is cranked up to random flow pattern from like 50% to 90% power I think (not by the tank right now to check exact schedule, hate that requirement in their app) and is pointed a little bit at the rocks where the SPS is. Not sure if this is enough/too much/placed well/poorly? Do I need to swap in a gyre at this length? Flow is confusing to me. o_O

Bonus: If you have any suggestions on coral placements as well, I'm open. I love my plans for torches and hammers and stuff on the big rock structure to the right but I'm firm on any other ideas. I have an acan on that frag rack that really needs to get settled into a home and some Zoas that I'm about ready to get rid of because I just don't know that I like them enough to want them taking over any structures/running out of room for dedicated islands with the GPS/Xenia/Cespitularia already kind of needing them.
Typically one on each end of tank will create gyre effect

Back