looking for lighting recommendations reefer 625

jhart85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've researched and want to buy once and buy right. im looking for a sps lighting setup and have leaned toward orphik atlantik icon, radio g6 xr30 and also reefs uno 2.0.
All help is much appreciated.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is that?
I always have to look up these darn Red Sea tanks. The '625', or whatever it is, is the total volume of display + sump in Liters.

This one is basically a 5x2x2H, 150ish gallons.

All 3 of those options are very nice LED lights. You would want 3 of the Radion 30s, or 3 of the Reefis. You may be able to get away with 2 of the Orpheks.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have to look up these darn Red Sea tanks. The '625', or whatever it is, is the total volume of display + sump in Liters.

This one is basically a 5x2x2H, 150ish gallons.

All 3 of those options are very nice LED lights. You would want 3 of the Radion 30s, or 3 of the Reefis. You may be able to get away with 2 of the Orpheks.
Lol. I always like helping. However when it requires math or searching I'm out.

OP
OP
J

jhart85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all replies, it’s nice to know I’m on the right track with lighting. Is there one particular with better spectrum vs other for color. I really like the orphek and the mounting options, but they don’t seem to get the love the reefi do.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek Atlantics are larger panel style fixtures and will give the best coverage/least shadowing.

All the lights you mentioned are solid, but shadowing is an issue with unsupplemented module lights.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning on getting Orpheks, do not buy them from an American vendor, as they will not work with wifi system that operates on the Osix platform that you also have to buy. That's really the pricey part of the setup. That's if you want more control over your lights.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the radions

Positives - they have very great spread and the new generation is made to reflect light off the glass to reduce shadowing. You can’t beat Ecotech support, one call away which is more than I can say for orphek. Im spending good money - I’m not having them send me parts to repair the lights myself.

Negatives - I hate how often I have to clean the glass with all the light hitting it. You probably need a canopy if the light is in your living space. So much light in your eyes with the spread. I bought light shades at one point to help.

The BRS videos about lights are great and gives you a lot of info about how high to mount the orphek or Radion for the best coverage/par

OP
OP
J

jhart85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Orphek Atlantics are larger panel style fixtures and will give the best coverage/least shadowing.

All the lights you mentioned are solid, but shadowing is an issue with unsupplemented module l

All the lights you mentioned are solid, but shadowing is an issue with unsupplemented module lights.
that is my thinking as well, 2 icons and 2 front and back or3 bars in blue

OP
OP
J

jhart85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning on getting Orpheks, do not buy them from an American vendor, as they will not work with wifi system that operates on the Osix platform that you also have to buy. That's really the pricey part of the setup. That's if you want more control over your lights.
Thank you I’ll have to dig and do more research in the matter because I’m not familiar with it. My understanding is that they would work so I’m glad you pointed this out

OP
OP
J

jhart85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the radions

Positives - they have very great spread and the new generation is made to reflect light off the glass to reduce shadowing. You can’t beat Ecotech support, one call away which is more than I can say for orphek. Im spending good money - I’m not having them send me parts to repair the lights myself.

Negatives - I hate how often I have to clean the glass with all the light hitting it. You probably need a canopy if the light is in your living space. So much light in your eyes with the spread. I bought light shades at one point to help.

The BRS videos about lights are great and gives you a lot of info about how high to mount the orphek or Radion for the best coverage/par
Yes I’ve followed the brs videos, I just wanted to get actual first hand experience which is unbiased from a financial standpoint on lights and true function.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done well with it the Reefi UNO 2. They pack a punch and have a wide spectrum. Radions are great lights, but Reefi offer more for a lower price. Plus they look cool with that little screen! IMG_0424.jpeg
IMG_0938.jpeg
IMG_0941.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jhart85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done well with it the Reefi UNO 2. They pack a punch and have a wide spectrum. Radions are great lights, but Reefi offer more for a lower price. Plus they look cool with that little screen! IMG_0424.jpeg
IMG_0938.jpeg
IMG_0941.jpeg
Exactly the feedback I was looking for the proof is in the picture. Thanks

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this thread
Thread 'Reefi-Labs Uno 2.0 pro'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reefi-labs-uno-2-0-pro.991402/
Good Info in that thread, these are 277 watt lights, Uno 2.0. at 82 watts in 27 inches of water mounted 12 inches above water line I was getting 45 par on sand line, 145p in 13inches water, 310 at 1 inch water. I grow softy's, love the movement, so I don't need a ton of light, but I am acclimating to a 91 watt profile, I'll take more par readings then. My aim is to hit 200par at 13 inches of water, without going over 100 par at sand line. I'll know this Saturday how close I am.

I have not tested to prove it yet, but IMO these lights are capable of putting 500+ par on the sand in my tank. They will Out preform any other light out there just due to the sheer wattage alone. the XR30 G4 was radion's highest watt light at 210watt there really is no comparison.

Orphek has a solid rep, but they are based in Europe and the warranty they have, to me is lack luster, think it is 1 yr they send you replacement parts, you do the installation. With the Reefi, 3 year, anything goes wrong, Ask Daniel on his FB page, if he can't trouble shoot you thru it, you send him light, he fixes and sends back. I have seen this guy in action online, his dedication to his customers is what originally sold me on this light.

sept12.jpg 20230906_053628[1].jpg

OP
OP
J

jhart85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Info in that thread, these are 277 watt lights, Uno 2.0. at 82 watts in 27 inches of water mounted 12 inches above water line I was getting 45 par on sand line, 145p in 13inches water, 310 at 1 inch water. I grow softy's, love the movement, so I don't need a ton of light, but I am acclimating to a 91 watt profile, I'll take more par readings then. My aim is to hit 200par at 13 inches of water, without going over 100 par at sand line. I'll know this Saturday how close I am.

I have not tested to prove it yet, but IMO these lights are capable of putting 500+ par on the sand in my tank. They will Out preform any other light out there just due to the sheer wattage alone. the XR30 G4 was radion's highest watt light at 210watt there really is no comparison.

Orphek has a solid rep, but they are based in Europe and the warranty they have, to me is lack luster, think it is 1 yr they send you replacement parts, you do the installation. With the Reefi, 3 year, anything goes wrong, Ask Daniel on his FB page, if he can't trouble shoot you thru it, you send him light, he fixes and sends back. I have seen this guy in action online, h

Orphek has a solid rep, but they are based in Europe and the warranty they have, to me is lack luster, think it is 1 yr they send you replacement parts, you do the installation. With the Reefi, 3 year, anything goes wrong, Ask Daniel on his FB page, if he can't trouble shoot you thru it, you send him light, he fixes and sends back. I have seen this guy in action online, his dedication to his customers is what originally sold me on this light.

yes ive reached out to orphik and also reefi, Daniel was prompt with a response. the controllability of orphik seems to be lacking. How is the blue fluoresce or pop compared to the radions with the reefs?

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes ive reached out to orphik and also reefi, Daniel was prompt with a response. the controllability of orphik seems to be lacking. How is the blue fluoresce or pop compared to the radions with the reefs?
There really isn't any comparison between the reefi and radion, the reefi power just burns the radion. Go to the FB reefi grp and look at the 1% UV pictures he's done. The color pop is phenomenal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back