Looking for lights on my 13.5 nano

Cque2222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I’m looking for a led light for my 13.5, right now I’m debating between the ai prime with a gooseneck and the kessil tuna blue, but without buying a controller.
Are these my best options? I’m growing pretty easy corals from Duncan favia zoas hammer and may eventually want to grab an Acro.

I would like this light to be able to transfer to a larger tank if I end up spending 250$ for a nano light.

are there any cheaper options like those Chinese black boxes? How do you mount these? And I’m slightly worried about burning my corals with those.

finally how would I go about making a lid for my fluval 13.5 since I’m upgrading the light, I’ve seen kits online for 40$ but I feel like I could go to Home Depot and pick up these products for way less

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just bought the kessil, l’m new to this so don’t take my word for it but my research says the kessil is perfect for a small nano but will snuggle with anything bigger, if looking for an upgrade proof light, go for the A1 prime, the Kessil feels a quality product tho, so glad I bought it for my nano (the controller, not so pleased with that.)

OP
OP
Cque2222

Cque2222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime are great little lights. Right in your budget too
I hear people always saying they are the “ low tier” of the better lights thou, but everyone seems to have them, although the people will kessils seem to trash on them, so maybe just bias.

OP
OP
Cque2222

Cque2222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just bought the kessil, l’m new to this so don’t take my word for it but my research say the kessil is perfect for a small nano but will snuggle with anything bigger, if looking for a upgrade proof light, go for the A1 prime, the Kessil feeling a quality product tho go glad I bought it for my nano (with the controller, not so pleased with that.)
That’s what it seems like to me, everyone says they are basically the same, but kessil is like 110$ more with the controller that the ai comes with built in.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear people always saying they are the “ low tier” of the better lights thou, but everyone seems to have them, although the people will kessils seem to trash on them, so maybe just bias.
Everybody has their bias. I run Radions on my tanks, but had a 14 gallon nano that in my head didn't justify another. Got the Prime and didn't look back. The functionality is the same without the price tag. Kessills are awesome lights, but for me, the "overshimmer" is a bit much. Again, goes to personal preference.
Getting anything from AI/Ecotech or Kessill is a solid move no matter which one you pick

OP
OP
Cque2222

Cque2222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody has their bias. I run Radions on my tanks, but had a 14 gallon nano that in my head didn't justify another. Got the Prime and didn't look back. The functionality is the same without the price tag. Kessills are awesome lights, but for me, the "overshimmer" is a bit much. Again, goes to personal preference.
Getting anything from AI/Ecotech or Kessill is a solid move no matter which one you pick
Ok I think I’m gonna go with the ai prime since it’s on sale right now too. I’m slightly confused thou, some say freshwater, did they make a freshwater version of the hd prime+

Kjgaeta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went for AI’s for my Fluval. Love them!

23E7E29B-9F80-4615-BDF6-C59622754DC4.jpeg 53AE0A42-FC54-4AC1-AF21-F4280181EA42.jpeg AB437CF9-CE50-4B80-B555-D285CF425C5F.jpeg

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would defimitely check out the new AI Prime,or even the older Primes. Now is the time since they are on sale. Very proven lights.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I’m gonna go with the ai prime since it’s on sale right now too. I’m slightly confused thou, some say freshwater, did they make a freshwater version of the hd prime+
There are definitely 2 different versions. The freshwater version has different LED's aimed more at growing plants. Less blue, more red in the color spectrum.
I have both. Both work well. I use the freshwater version over the fuge and also over my mangroves.
The Saltwater version is much heavier in the blue end of the spectrum. Both are controllable, but definitely get the one for Saltwater for using over coral frags

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what it seems like to me, everyone says they are basically the same, but kessil is like 110$ more with the controller that the ai comes with built in.

even Taking the price difference into account, they are still not like for like, I would say the control on the Kessil is so poor I would still consider it subpar even if it came free with the lights, what I have seem of the primes is their control if much better, the Kessil is not even WiFi enabled, at near enough the same price as the lights themselves, it should be much better.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to compare Primes to the A80/A150though is like comparing nutritional facts of a real apple to a fake apple lol.

Power,par,spectrum,controllability out of the box,and range of corals it can grow,coverage,is on another level compared to the A80/A150 The only thing I feel like the A80 has over the Prime is blending. The Prime does succumb to disco and color separation pretty bad.

But a small piece of acrylic with a piece of frosted glass covering with double sided tape can solve that problem.

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 2 cents...
I just set up a little nano ( in build thread badge ) 18.5 gal RFA tank. I spend I lot of time looking for lighting. I went with AI prime HD, 12" goose neck and the 3d reefing diffuser. LOVE IT!

IMHO prime all the way. of course after I bought it a new version was released maybe a month later. boo

the new version has 2 upgrades I would have liked.
1) better water proofing
2) dedicated moon light channel

the other model are on sale still very good lights. but keep in mind BF is coming up so prob. a sale from AI.

if not join the evo. 13.5 FB group I joined as I thought I was gonna get that tank. good peeps lots of info

OP
OP
Cque2222

Cque2222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even Taking the price difference into account, they are still not like for like, I would say the control on the Kessil is so poor I would still consider it subpar even if it came free with the lights, what I have seem of the primes is their control if much better, the Kessil is not even WiFi enabled, at near enough the same price as the lights themselves, it should be much better.
What always gets me, it’s a subpar controller, only thing people seem to love is this “shimmer” but I don’t really like it, it looks really sloppy to me.

OP
OP
Cque2222

Cque2222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me to! the shimmer of the AI and 3d diffuser is perfect for me best of all worlds.
Would you say that I should get the hd+ for 180, or wait for the hd20 prime comes out in a few days and get that for 210?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say that I should get the hd+ for 180, or wait for the hd20 prime comes out in a few days and get that for 210?

hmm tough call there. can you wait a month I bet you might be able to find both for cheaper??

I wonder if BRS will do a rewiew of the new AI lights I bet they will just a mader of time there lighting reviews with par charts are great. very informative.

OP
OP
Cque2222

Cque2222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm tough call there. can you wait a month I bet you might be able to find both for cheaper??

I wonder if BRS will do a rewiew of the new AI lights I bet they will just a mader of time there lighting reviews with par charts are great. very informative.
The new light is gonna be 230 retail,. I can preorder it for cheaper. Honestly they made the prime, if it’s the same as that I would be happy, but I read the specs and it seems to have a lot more color control

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What always gets me, it’s a subpar controller, only thing people seem to love is this “shimmer” but I don’t really like it, it looks really sloppy to me.

I choose it for the shimmer, but mainly because it does get very good reviews, I also prefer the look of it and the fact it’s silent, as it doesn’t have a fan.The tank is in the living room so noise is a consideration.

OP
OP
Cque2222

Cque2222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I choose it for the shimmer, but mainly because it does get very good reviews, I also prefer the look of it and the fact it’s silent, as it doesn’t have a fan.The tank is in the living room so noise is a consideration.
Ah mine is in my bedroom so only time it needs to be off is sleep, to each his own! I can’t stand that shimmer effect

Back