Looking for opinions - Makeshift RODI

happysalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been running a reef tank for a year now and just recently moved it across Canada (by that i mean I had a new tank built, i went and set it up and had all fish and corals shipped over.) Now everything is great but I have a question about water quality. Water out of my tap is 20ppm on my TDS and that is around what it used to be coming out of my RO unit before it hit the DI stage.

What I was wondering was if I just ran a dual chamber of DI resin and were able to get 0 TDS but didn't have the water go through the other 3 phases if there would be something I would be missing from the other three phases (sediment, carbon, and the membrane).

Other people in Vancouver use just tap water with prime and have no issues so I'm just looking to be a little safer than that. Chlorine or anything like that I should be worried about?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can but you will burn through both stages of DI in probably just a few runs. Sediment filters carbon blocks and membrane reduce all the TDS in the water down to near 0 when working efficiently. Running 20 tds water straight to DI will drop tds to 0 but wont long at all. DI is lot more expensive than few filters to clean the water before entering DI.
If your tds was 20 coming out of RO unit before hitting DI there is something wrong with the setup.
Ideally tds should be 0-5 before DI if incoming tap tds is 20.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back