Looking for some help with my Stock List

D_Reep1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I'm finally setting up a 120 in the next week (been gathering for 2 years now). I've been refing for a long time now (~9 years) so I understand the risk on most fish and what not but I am wanting to get some fish with this tank that I have never owned before. My biggest questions are going to be with the wrasses Ive selected. Under "After upgrade" I am adding a ~100 gallon refugium in 6 months. Also am planning on adding all the wrasses after I have the tank established with all the invertebrates.
Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 10.16.22 PM.png

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid the hogfish. When you see 3 or 5 to the left beside, is this the number you want of that particular 1? I'd recommend 1 of various types and not multiples.

OP
OP
D_Reep1106

D_Reep1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why avoid the hogfish? Ive heard a lot about if they are added after shrimp they are fine and yes the number is the amount of each I want. When there are multiples I am wanting a male and some females. I like the symmetry of multiples of the same type. It makes the ones that are the only ones really stand out.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hogfish will be aggressive.

Multiples of the same species of flasher wrasses usually doesn't work out as well as you would think. First, getting females that haven't begun to transition to a male is difficult. Second, even with a male present, females usually transition into a male, and males of the same species are quite intolerant of one another.

Carpet anemones and wrasses don't mix. Period. Carpet anemones are far too effective at catching, killing, and eating fish, particularly active, 'jumpy' fish such as wrasses.

20160404_135806.jpg

OP
OP
D_Reep1106

D_Reep1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hogfish will be aggressive.

Multiples of the same species of flasher wrasses usually doesn't work out as well as you would think. First, getting females that haven't begun to transition to a male is difficult. Second, even with a male present, females usually transition into a male, and males of the same species are quite intolerant of one another.

Carpet anemones and wrasses don't mix. Period. Carpet anemones are far too effective at catching, killing, and eating fish, particularly active, 'jumpy' fish such as wrasses.

20160404_135806.jpg

Have you had a peppermint hogfish? I didn't know that about Flasher Wrasse. What do you think about having 3 or 4 dusky wrasse (1 male, 2 or 3 female) and just the Male McCosker's? Do you think the Chrysus, leopards, dusky, and McCosker's will all get along?
Thanks again for the input.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had a peppermint hogfish? I didn't know that about Flasher Wrasse. What do you think about having 3 or 4 dusky wrasse (1 male, 2 or 3 female) and just the Male McCosker's? Do you think the Chrysus, leopards, dusky, and McCosker's will all get along?
Thanks again for the input.
Yes, I have had peppermint hogs in tanks I take care of. They needed to be removed due to aggression from reef tanks, they were fine in fish only setups.

A harem of leopards usually works, but a harem of dusky wrasses won't work as well. H. marginatus can be pretty aggressive with one another, I would have only one.

The chrysus, dusky, flashers, and leopards should be fine together, just be sure to use a social acclimation box when introducing new fish to established ones.

OP
OP
D_Reep1106

D_Reep1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have had peppermint hogs in tanks I take care of. They needed to be removed due to aggression from reef tanks, they were fine in fish only setups.

A harem of leopards usually works, but a harem of dusky wrasses won't work as well. H. marginatus can be pretty aggressive with one another, I would have only one.

The chrysus, dusky, flashers, and leopards should be fine together, just be sure to use a social acclimation box when introducing new fish to established ones.

So youre saying a single Chrysus, McCoskers, and Dusky, and a herom of leopard wrasse would all be fine together. What do you think the acclimation should be as far as introducing them at times. Best to do all at once? I could manage the bio-load of adding all at once

and good to know about the peppermint hog will move that guy to the Aggressive reef stock list. I plan on tying in a 90 gallon aggressive reef into the 120 and 200 gallon sump/refugium

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So youre saying a single Chrysus, McCoskers, and Dusky, and a herom of leopard wrasse would all be fine together. What do you think the acclimation should be as far as introducing them at times. Best to do all at once? I could manage the bio-load of adding all at once

and good to know about the peppermint hog will move that guy to the Aggressive reef stock list. I plan on tying in a 90 gallon aggressive reef into the 120 and 200 gallon sump/refugium
Correct, a single of each a chrysus, dusky, and mckosker, along with a harem of leopards will be fine.

Getting them all simultaneously is best, if not possible, just add the dusky last.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha ignore my OCD of a spreadsheet for this build
I did the same thing with the spread sheet :) I stayed on budget until I went over the top.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast what do you think about pair or trio of yellow Chrysus wrasse
It's a pretty peaceful species, so it should work, but wrasses don't form true pairs, so to me there is no point in doing it, when there are so many other species could be kept instead.

OP
OP
D_Reep1106

D_Reep1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing with the spread sheet :) I stayed on budget until I went over the top.

Hahaha it is definitely the way to go. It keeps me from rushing the build because I have something to work on. I use it more as to track what I spend as far as livestock but the equipment is definitely a budget

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that the pistol shrimp can tear through other inverts. Not sure maybe someone will know better than I will. Just something to maybe research

OP
OP
D_Reep1106

D_Reep1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that the pistol shrimp can tear through other inverts. Not sure maybe someone will know better than I will. Just something to maybe research
You may be thinking of mantis shrimp. Ive had pistol shrimp pairs for years and havent lost any other inverts, that I know of, to the pistol shrimp.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back