Looking for top down fish pics!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a tub that I'd like to put fish into. I'll measure it tomorrow again, but I'm fairly certain it goes up to 100 gallons (it's around 4' Long x 3' Wide x 2' Deep).

The issue I'm having, is that a lot of the fish we keep are good from a "look at the side" POV, but not from a "look from the top" POV (which I guess is good, camouflage and countershading and all). Feeding pictures are great, but I'd also like to get candid pictures of the fish.

If you have a tank that has a footprint of 12 square feet or less (4'x3', 6'x2', etc.), a top down picture is welcome! I'm interested in fish that aren't going to outgrow this size tub. I'm specially interested in top down pictures of the following fish:

Dendrochirus sp. lionfish (aka the dwarf lionfish!). Special special interest in D. biocellatus (Fu Manchus)
Pterois sphex, or the Hawaiian lionfish (@lion king ?)
Yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
Tomini and kole tangs (Ctenochaetus tominiensis, C. strigosus)
Convict Tangs (Acanthurus triostegus)
Bicolor goatfish (Parupeneus barberinoides)
Serranus tigrinus (Serranus tigrinus)
Tobys (Canthigaster sp., especially C. valentini, and C. solandri)
Squirrelfish (Sargocentron, Neoniphon, and Myripristis)
Harlequin Tuskfish (Choerodon fasciatus)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check their videos out! Granted, 300 gallons is a lot larger than 100 gallons...but if I pretend the scopas is yellow, then I’ve got a good look at what a Zebrasoma looks like from the top down!

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200819_203621.jpg

I love the pond look. And the fact that you can get a 300 gallon tub for about 250$ at Traktor supply makes this type of set up so very economical. It is definitely a different view point but i find it amazing.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200819_203621.jpg

I love the pond look. And the fact that you can get a 300 gallon tub for about 250$ at Traktor supply makes this type of set up so very economical. It is definitely a different view point but i find it amazing.

Do ytou have a build thread on that pond. How do you set up the filtration,

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do ytou have a build thread on that pond. How do you set up the filtration,

I have the start of one yes.

My current set up is 3 x 300 gallon tubs...the center is a refugium/live rock filter. Large skimmer. 2 plastic totes with the lid and side drilled for enter and return. Tote is filled with rock, filter sock, activated carbon/zeolite.

The plumbing is basic with a gravity spill way and PVC drain into the tote through a bulkhead.

It is very simple but pretty effective.

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....I just remeasured the tank. I couldn't find the ruler, so used the thumb trick (1 thumb ~=~1")...the tub is a 50 gallon 3'x2'x1' tank...dang it! I might have to rethink all of the stocking ideas I had...and not for the better unfortunately....

Sadly, that means no more pelagic fish spawns...

Last edited:

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....I just remeasured the tank. I couldn't find the ruler, so used the thumb trick (1 thumb ~=~1")...the tub is a 50 gallon 3'x2'x1' tank...dang it! I might have to rethink all of the stocking ideas I had...and not for the better unfortunately....

Sadly, that means no more pelagic fish spawns...

If you have a traktor supply nearby, they have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid for less than 300$ and it will fit through most standard doors. Use the 50 gallon as the filter box/refugium

;)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if these are what you are looking for, but these pictures were taken through the surface of the water, some with a view box others without. Fish and animals are much more colorful looking from the direction of the light, top down.
Chevron2016051101.jpg
clown2020092003Magnifica and Onyx.jpg
EightlineFlasher2020042303.jpg
PBT2019040601.jpg

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if these are what you are looking for, but these pictures were taken through the surface of the water, some with a view box others without. Fish and animals are much more colorful looking from the direction of the light, top down.
Chevron2016051101.jpg
clown2020092003Magnifica and Onyx.jpg
EightlineFlasher2020042303.jpg
PBT2019040601.jpg
That is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you!!!
If you have a traktor supply nearby, they have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid for less than 300$ and it will fit through most standard doors. Use the 50 gallon as the filter box/refugium
;)
I've been getting that suggestion a lot, and I might do it....but it's all dependable on where I move, and how much weight I can put on the flooring, as well as ....landlords....
My initial plan was to have the tub hooked up to a pre-planned breeding system. It would function as another part of filtration, since it would hold more free-floating algae species like Chaeto, Sargassum, and Ulva, while simultaneously also housing more spawning fish (pelagics!). A 300 gallon is...intimidating. Very intimidating. The largest I've ever worked with was a 55 aquarium and this tub. The large water volume would be....a lot, and I'd have to recalculate a lot of the maintenance costs , such as the ones for making salt...

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you!!!

I've been getting that suggestion a lot, and I might do it....but it's all dependable on where I move, and how much weight I can put on the flooring, as well as ....landlords....
My initial plan was to have the tub hooked up to a pre-planned breeding system. It would function as another part of filtration, since it would hold more free-floating algae species like Chaeto, Sargassum, and Ulva, while simultaneously also housing more spawning fish (pelagics!). A 300 gallon is...intimidating. Very intimidating. The largest I've ever worked with was a 55 aquarium and this tub. The large water volume would be....a lot, and I'd have to recalculate a lot of the maintenance costs , such as the ones for making salt...
I completely understand. I am a bit spoiled as i live near Marineland Florida and can get offshore saltwater fairly easily.

Keep us informed and good luck!

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid Dottybacks - they only show their full colors when you look at them from above from where the light comes.

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid Dottybacks - they only show their full colors when you look at them from above from where the light comes.
Those would be cool! Have any pictures? Alternatively....have any pictures of your comets from the top-down? I had an idea for the tub that consisted of a pair of comets + lionfish....

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those would be cool! Have any pictures? Alternatively....have any pictures of your comets from the top-down? I had an idea for the tub that consisted of a pair of comets + lionfish....
I have an Orchid in a tub but I doubt the camera can capture the brilliance of his color (at least my phone camera won't do). Trust me, the color of them you see on pictures is pale to the iridescence of the colors when seen from above.

Marine Bettas will likely not be suitable as they like to stand in caves. You won't see them much.

But with a gang of Pomacentrus alleni you might get a similar effect as with the Pseudochromis fridmani. Under the right light from the right angle without filtering glass they have the most stunning metallic blue.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostracion meleagris males may also look good from above, though not a simple fish to keep.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back