Looking to buy a used RedSea Reefer XXL 625

jseg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across a used RedSea Reefer XXL 625 for a great price and I remember hearing that there were some issues with the older RedSea models stand and support system. Would anyone know if the 625 fell under that category and if that is something I should worry about when looking to purchase the used setup.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the 625, 750 and 900 fell under that category. You can retrofit the cabinet with the aluminum support brace from Red Sea (contact them for pricing). The v3 and G2 models don't have this issue (the stand and tanks have been redesigned).

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the redsea facebook "forum" every day their is a post about one splitting a seam. I would be highly hesitant to purchase a used non G2 model. Supposedly its fixed but still weary.

Depending on the price obviously but Ive gotten scared of buying used tanks, especially ones that have a history of bursting when new. No need to risk your house to save some money.

OP
OP
jseg0

jseg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the redsea facebook "forum" every day their is a post about one splitting a seam. I would be highly hesitant to purchase a used non G2 model. Supposedly its fixed but still weary.

Depending on the price obviously but Ive gotten scared of buying used tanks, especially ones that have a history of bursting when new. No need to risk your house to save some money.
That’s definitely concerning. Is there a way to confirm the model date with the serial #? The main appeal is that this setup has a ton of aftermarket stuff on it with gen4 Radeons, mp60’s a reef octopus skimmer for just $2,000.

OP
OP
jseg0

jseg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the 625, 750 and 900 fell under that category. You can retrofit the cabinet with the aluminum support brace from Red Sea (contact them for pricing). The v3 and G2 models don't have this issue (the stand and tanks have been redesigned).
Dang ok. I’ll try to get confirmation on which generation/serial number and go from there.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's essentially no difference between the v3 and G2 from a purely tank and cabinet standpoint with respect to the 625, 750 and 900 models. The stand is the same, the support brace is the same and the glass/tank specs are identical. With the G2 you get the addition of red plumbing, a ReefMat-ready sump and the newer square overflow.

Coopkid94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's essentially no difference between the v3 and G2 from a purely tank and cabinet standpoint with respect to the 625, 750 and 900 models. The stand is the same, the support brace is the same and the glass/tank specs are identical. With the G2 you get the addition of red plumbing, a ReefMat-ready sump and the newer square overflow.
Didn’t they add armoured seams and adjustable feet to the smaller models for the g2?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t they add armoured seams and adjustable feet to the smaller models for the g2?
Yes, I believe you're correct - the 625 now includes the same armored seams as on the 750/900. Not sure about the adjustable feet as I have the 750XXL v3 (the 625 v3 would've had the same feet).

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back