Looking to start up.

Gardnaaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Upstate reef society, my names Zack and I just found this forum. I’m 27 and I’m looking to start my first saltwater tank. I have a 60g tall, not the best aquascaping tank but due to where it is in my house, it fits perfect. I my 2.5 year old son absolutely loves fish, so I think this could be a hobby we can do together. I just don’t know where to start! I never tried this hobby because of all the negative things you hear about it. Being too hard and too expensive and too advanced can freak the normal person out haha. Hoping to meet some locals (I’m in Kingston and have no problem traveling) and maybe be able to pick your brains and if you have spare equipment lying around, maybe purchase it so I can get started in this long journey. Thank you everyone!

NewYorkReefer1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby Zack from just outside Albany! I would say your best bet to start out is to check out the 5 minute guides on YouTube from BUlk Reef Supply. They did a full 52 episode thing a few years ago but it’s like 50 hours long. The 5 minute guide episodes are a very concise condensed version of that and really tells you everything you need to know in a couple of hours.

OP
OP
Gardnaaa

Gardnaaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby Zack from just outside Albany! I would say your best bet to start out is to check out the 5 minute guides on YouTube from BUlk Reef Supply. They did a full 52 episode thing a few years ago but it’s like 50 hours long. The 5 minute guide episodes are a very concise condensed version of that and really tells you everything you need to know in a couple of hours.
I’m on episode 18 of the 5 minute long series. What I’m having trouble with, and I’ve been searching around here tonight, what’s the bare minimum I need to get started? For the 60g it would be 60lbs live sand,60lbs rock, 2 Powerheads,heater, and a light? I have a canister filter that’s with my tank currently but I don’t think using it is good from what I’ve read. Honestly the hard part is there is so much information and everything is all over the place. I’m just looking at what I need to get this thing up and running, and then I’ll look into sumps, skimmer, etc what I get some more finances. Hope your staying healthy up there!

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on episode 18 of the 5 minute long series. What I’m having trouble with, and I’ve been searching around here tonight, what’s the bare minimum I need to get started? For the 60g it would be 60lbs live sand,60lbs rock, 2 Powerheads,heater, and a light? I have a canister filter that’s with my tank currently but I don’t think using it is good from what I’ve read. Honestly the hard part is there is so much information and everything is all over the place. I’m just looking at what I need to get this thing up and running, and then I’ll look into sumps, skimmer, etc what I get some more finances. Hope your staying healthy up there!
Welcome. I did watch a lot of the BRS stuff, including the 52 week series. There is a lot of good information, but be careful, they are a business in the end, and need to make money somehow. Some of there recommendations are good, others are expensive and not always needed, ie super duper tank controllers like Neptune Apex, although a temperature controller is not a bad thing.

That being said... heres a good read (missing some info here and there):

But there actually is a lot that goes into it. I have added my list of items that I am currently putting together for my current build. It is nothing fancy, but most of it is required in some way shape or form, depending on what you will be keeping, minus the reactors and auto water changes (and 2 part if not going SPS). Also, sumps or AIO tanks do work a lot better then canister filters.

Tank and Stand
150 gallonTank (60*24*24)
Overflow*
Stand
40BSump
Sump Baffle Kit
400 W totalHeater
-Controller
Skimmer
plumbing
Screen Tops
quarantine
Lighting
Tank Light
Sump Light
Rock and Sand
Sand
Live Rock
Dry Rock
-Epoxy
Pumps
Return
Wave
Water
RODI
-RODI Pump
-Filters
Salt
- Salinity Refractometer
- Hannah dkh (Alk)
- Hannah ULR phosphate
- Aquaforest Magnesium
- Salifert Calcium
- Salifert Nitrate
TDS Meter
Dual Reactor
-GFO
-Carbon
Dosing pump
2 part dosing
Mixing Station
Plumbing
Pump
Container
ATO
Auto Water Changer

NewYorkReefer1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well to really help you a big question would be, what are you planning on keeping within the first 6 months to a year? Fish only soft Corals? LPS? SPS?

NewYorkReefer1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the basics though. A skimmer might be a good idea but the bare bones are there in your description. An RODI filter is also a very good idea and they really are easy to set up.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helped a friend setup a very basic tank last year. started out as he only wanted fish.

Live rock(1lb per gallon is the typical recommendation), Sand(doesn't have to be live, biggest gimick in the hobby IMO) so you have 1 to 2", a couple powerheads, a heater, a cheap light(fish don't care about light, its there so you can see the fish), and obviously water(0 TDS RO/DI is best to use), and salt.

All thats really "needed" to start a tank.

Your a little downstate to be in URS, but seeing as this place is pretty dead(most moved on to FB years ago), welcome to the group! There are other NY reefer groups that might be better suited to where you live. Most in here are around the Buffalo, Syracuse, Rotchester, and surrounding areas.

OP
OP
Gardnaaa

Gardnaaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easier to reply to all then one by one, I joined this one because I don’t really have a problem traveling, and the Hudson valley reef keepers, since I’m in Hudson valley. I noticed that the upstate group has more people talking more frequently, so I asked in this one as well. I’m pretty much just going to start with fish or some easier corals. I haven’t done much research as to what corals I want yet, but I’d like to get something, nothing crazy. Having a lot of bills I’m trying to ease into the hobby without dropping 3k in the first month lol. So I’m seeing what I need for a easy and barebones start up. I’ve enjoyed watching the 5 minute series so far, but a lot of the stuff they say you need is ultra pricy. So I’m trying to start out with maybe some used stuff to save a little cash until I get up and running, and then upgrade slowly as I get more into the hobby and understand things. As far as fish goes, I’ll probably try and keep fish that stay on the smaller side, so I can have more than 1 fish in my 60g lol. From what I’ve read, obviously no tangs. But I’m open for some good suggestions. Like I said it’s all new to me, and with not having a good LFS, I’m not sure what I 100% want yet. As far as the canister filer goes, I’d really prefer not to use it, as it seems like it is going to be a lot of extra not needed work by getting in there and cleaning it once or twice a week. So I’m looking at other options. Hopefully eventually getting a sump. As far as no one being in these groups anymore, going to Facebook does make more sense, it’s more convenient. I just don’t have any social media like Facebook or Instagram. Thank you guys for your reply’s and suggestions! If you have any other tips or suggestions I’m all ears! I appreciate all your help! Stay healthy out there.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salt life! Come join our newest club! Once this pandemic is over we will be meeting up again!

OP
OP
Gardnaaa

Gardnaaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you guys meet up? I’d love to stop in and meet some of you. Still trying to figure out how im going to start all of this up! So much to research! I want to make a game plan so it can be as successful as possible. Obviously I’m prepared for failure, but I don’t intend on it. Hopefully it all goes well!

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We usually pick a members house and meet there....I'll most likely do the next one once we can socialize again. Wed love to have you there!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back