Looking To Upgrade Lights! Any thoughts?"

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to upgrade my lights, I am going to need something anyway when I get a bigger tank, but really want to get them now and run them on my Waterbox 100.3. Currently I run the Hydra 26HD's.

I am looking for more coverage and more penetration to the sand bed. The obvious choice to me are the Hydra 64 HD's but would like to hear your thoughts on what you would do?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, Hydra and Radion are about the same... slightly different, but more the same.

You will get more help if you post tank dimensions... is Waterbox something a tank size?

You might just need another Hydra, or two. I would rather have a pair of 32s than one 64. If the tank is large enough to use T5s, then lots of people have really liked adding them in a Aquatic Life unit.

Do you have any PAR readings?

johnston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't know that they are better I like mine s was stating my opinion if you wanted tio research them as well

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting to do led? T5 is also good, MH is amazing if you don’t mind a little extra heat :)

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If youre running hydras, I'd stick with what you know and stay with AI.
That’s what I’m starting to think! Here is my current Par.

44C25A3A-2C2F-452C-BCB7-6CD757B3228F.jpeg

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much better are the Radions over the Hydras ?

I have AI. Radions seem to be considered the gold standard for LED lighting. But if you look at the specs of both, radions have an edge but not a big one. And many people are quite happy with good lower end LED units.

I would suggest checking the par in your tank. I run AI units and I have just a bit more lighting per square foot than you do and I grow montipora and acros just fine.

LED lighting has a drawback in being a point source and producing a shading problem for parts of colonies in the shade. People make up for it by adding more units (more light sources and less shading) and if it is too bright, dialing down the power some. Some people go whole hog on this and get a pile of AI primes but I think that is over kill.

I would suggest just adding one or maybe two more AI 24s but you will probably get AI 32s As the 24s are being phased out. Or you could sell your AIs and get Radions but I don’t think that there is not that much difference.

Another thing you could do is go hybrid. You could keep your AIs and add a T5 fixture or two to boost coverage and intensity.

In any event, I would recommend getting Par measures on your tank. If the par is ok, then you don’t have to worry unless you want a couple of units to give more even lighting. Without measuring par, you are guessing.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have AI. Radions seem to be considered the gold standard for LED lighting. But if you look at the specs of both, radions have an edge but not a big one. And many people are quite happy with good lower end LED units.

I would suggest checking the par in your tank. I run AI units and I have just a bit more lighting per square foot than you do and I grow montipora and acros just fine.

LED lighting has a drawback in being a point source and producing a shading problem for parts of colonies in the shade. People make up for it by adding more units (more light sources and less shading) and if it is too bright, dialing down the power some. Some people go whole hog on this and get a pile of AI primes but I think that is over kill.

I would suggest just adding one or maybe two more AI 24s but you will probably get AI 32s As the 24s are being phased out. Or you could sell your AIs and get Radions but I don’t think that there is not that much difference.

Another thing you could do is go hybrid. You could keep your AIs and add a T5 fixture or two to boost coverage and intensity.

In any event, I would recommend getting Par measures on your tank. If the par is ok, then you don’t have to worry unless you want a couple of units to give more even lighting. Without measuring par, you are guessing.
Par measurements are above you last post !

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReeFi Duo Extremes are my pick! See Dana's review below:

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from Radions to ReeFi and Love them!
I did the same, except my Radions were paired with T5 in a hybrid setup. ReeFi lights are less point source than other similar LED form factors due to the reflectors they utilize. Very good depth penetration. I'm getting 200+ PAR on my sand bed in a RSR525XL. Over 400 near the tops of my rocks. Obviously you can dial them down to suit your needs.

Gree23849

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the Hybrid option... Had a full 3 set of Hydra 26's... All of them broke (beginner user error - I had to add a small desk fan under my canopy because the Hydra fan wasn't keeping much moisture out). I'm left with one that I replaced and I'm switching to hybrid with T5's... There are some T5 setups that are pretty low cost and really great. My plan is to have my remaining Hydra as the dimming aspect to the aquarium since the T5 isn't dimmable, and then add a timer to the T5 for when the Hydra is at its brightest. I've read a lot on the forums and there seems to be a conflict with T5 vs LED, both have their ups and downs, so hybrid makes more sense to me. Otherwise, I've loved my remaining AI! And if you stick to LED, I'd hang onto AI

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same, except my Radions were paired with T5 in a hybrid setup. ReeFi lights are less point source than other similar LED form factors due to the reflectors they utilize. Very good depth penetration. I'm getting 200+ PAR on my sand bed in a RSR525XL. Over 400 near the tops of my rocks. Obviously you can dial them down to suit your needs.

I had the LED/T5 combo too.

These lights produce the most visually pleasing effect I have ever seen.
Like sun streaming down from above.
No disco effect
The blues will blow your mind.

Plus the customer service is crazy good. I am not fond of being able to see the digital display on the front of the lights. Mentioned it and was told they will make that an option to turn the display off with the next software update!

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back