Looks like ich, but I’m sure it can’t be.

Joel2036

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone ! So my clown has had these dots on him for weeks now, im waiting until I 100% know what it is before I made any decisions on what to do as he is still happy eating and active. But it seems to be annoying me more then him and I wanna find out what’s happening to him.

the reason I don’t believe it is ich is because none of my other fish have any signs of it, or any stress at all actually, during the day everybody looks 100% healthy and active.
it’s only when my lights are ramping down and it’s my blue, Royal and UV lights on I can see some dots or patches on his body, at the start I thought it may have been from the nem, but then they were there a week later. Then from them I started to think it may be the dreaded ich.
but the fish behaviour has not changed and is still eating and seems pretty healthy.
I just thinks it’s strange that none of the dots are visible at all during the day.
If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated

E83ECF4E-9D26-4785-811A-8DC43CD612B8.jpeg EE2CC658-222E-4982-86EF-DEAE32D6B3E8.jpeg

OP
OP
Joel2036

Joel2036

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that also, but brook would have killed him already

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t matter what it is (looks like velvet) because the treatment is the same. Get them out and qt with copper or cp

ccs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like ich to me.

The fact that the other fish don't show signs doesn't mean that it is not ich. It is actually very common for some fish to develop some immunity and don't show any signs at all.

Is the fish showing any other signs like rapid breathing, itching, twitching, scratching?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clownfish are more resilient to ich because of its thick slime coat. Usually you will see ich on other fish before you see it on clowns. Have you tried to give him a fresh water dip to see it that helps. Also like above could be early signs of Brooklynella!

OP
OP
Joel2036

Joel2036

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H
That looks like ich to me.

The fact that the other fish don't show signs doesn't mean that it is not ich. It is actually very common for some fish to develop some immunity and don't show any signs at all.

Is the fish showing any other signs like rapid breathing, itching, twitching, scratching?

he does rub on the sand a couple times a day, I guess that’s a good sign it’s ich hey ?
im not sure what my next step is going to be as I’m about to get ready to move house in the next 4-6 weeks.

OP
OP
Joel2036

Joel2036

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I m
Clownfish are more resilient to ich because of its thick slime coat. Usually you will see ich on other fish before you see it on clowns. Have you tried to give him a fresh water dip to see it that helps. Also like above could be early signs of Brooklynella!
i may try a freshwater dip tomorrow see if that removes anything then atleast I know it’s ich. So weird that it’s not visible at all during normal lighting tho only when it’s blues and UV

ccs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbing on the sand it is a clear sign of parasites.

Fresh water dip is usually good for flukes and a temporary relief for velvet and brook, but fairly ineffective for ich.
Be sure to do it properly

Keep a close eye on all fishes. If it is indeed some parasite, a quarantine and fallow period would be the best option.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with many above. Early Stage Brook can present similar to Ich and Velvet. Watch for other symptoms.

OP
OP
Joel2036

Joel2036

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with many above. Early Stage Brook can present similar to Ich and Velvet. Watch for other symptoms.
Would early signs of brook come and go day to day ? As he seems to be a lot clearer tonight compared to last night.

OP
OP
Joel2036

Joel2036

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it’s just strange as I’ve had him for almost 3 months now, was the first fish added and no other fish show symptoms

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back