Losing Two Heads of a Hammer

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are good, only think I dose is KH, so there is a little fluctuation with that (maybe a 1.5 swing at most when I dose) and everything else in the tank looks fine. Even the other heads of my hammer look fine. Why would I just be losing these two heads? It’s like these two are totally dead and the other two are as healthy as I’ve ever seen them.
IMG_5747.jpeg

Bhuddafunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it but it is just one of those things which is part of the hobby. Perhaps the heads that were affected got infected from some other source local to those heads. I know that once I start loosing that white ring around the base of the coral head things start turning bad and I generally loose the head within a week or two. I'm generally thankful when I have more than one head as it will allow me to frag the coral to prevent any further movement of infection, not to say that this is what you are dealing with.

OP
OP
His Coral Highness

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it but it is just one of those things which is part of the hobby. Perhaps the heads that were affected got infected from some other source local to those heads. I know that once I start loosing that white ring around the base of the coral head things start turning bad and I generally loose the head within a week or two. I'm generally thankful when I have more than one head as it will allow me to frag the coral to prevent any further movement of infection, not to say that this is what you are dealing with.
Do you think I should amputate those heads?

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO don’t amputate. IMG_0649.jpeg this little hammer is trying to regrow from its old skeleton months after the rest died. Just keep it clean.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back