Losing Two Heads of a Hammer

His Coral Highness

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2022
Messages
267
Reaction score
302
Location
Charleston, SC
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are good, only think I dose is KH, so there is a little fluctuation with that (maybe a 1.5 swing at most when I dose) and everything else in the tank looks fine. Even the other heads of my hammer look fine. Why would I just be losing these two heads? It’s like these two are totally dead and the other two are as healthy as I’ve ever seen them.
IMG_5747.jpeg
 
Hate to say it but it is just one of those things which is part of the hobby. Perhaps the heads that were affected got infected from some other source local to those heads. I know that once I start loosing that white ring around the base of the coral head things start turning bad and I generally loose the head within a week or two. I'm generally thankful when I have more than one head as it will allow me to frag the coral to prevent any further movement of infection, not to say that this is what you are dealing with.
 
Hate to say it but it is just one of those things which is part of the hobby. Perhaps the heads that were affected got infected from some other source local to those heads. I know that once I start loosing that white ring around the base of the coral head things start turning bad and I generally loose the head within a week or two. I'm generally thankful when I have more than one head as it will allow me to frag the coral to prevent any further movement of infection, not to say that this is what you are dealing with.
Do you think I should amputate those heads?
 
IMO don’t amputate. IMG_0649.jpeg this little hammer is trying to regrow from its old skeleton months after the rest died. Just keep it clean.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new