Lost a clown fish. Advice.

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 days is not long enough in copper
maybe my research is wrong but from what i read if you do 14 days then transfer to a sterile qt not reusing equipment it should be fine no? if im wrong im wrong on that part but im pretty sure ive read elsewhere that information....... direct from humble fish himself......
An alternative way to use copper is to treat for just 2 weeks and then transfer the fish to a different observation tank. However, adhering to the following "rules" is very important if you wish to try this:
  1. Copper level must be at FULL THERAPEUTIC (2.5 ppm if using Copper Power) for the entire 14 days (very important).
  2. QT water temp should stay consistently between 77-80F.
  3. Nothing from the QT can be reused to setup the observation tank. Transfer just the fish, nothing else!
  4. The two tanks should be at least 10 feet apart, to avoid any possibility of aerosol transmission. Also be careful to avoid cross contamination via wet hands, feeding apparatus, anything wet really…
  5. Do not lower the copper level prior to transferring. The observation tank should be copper free, so you can observe to ensure treatment was successful. You can, however, treat with other medications (e.g. Praziquantel if you need to deworm) during observation.

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems fine, if your water quality is fine then it kind of seals the deal with it being a disease. let me ask you this, when you look at the fish would you say it had to many white dots to count? were they on just the body or also the fins and eyes? were they similar sized or were some much smaller/larger than others? since you said the spots appeared and then went away for two days then returned a few days ago and lost a clown how long would you say that the clownfish survived with visible infection ( i lost my cinnamons to velvet when i first got into the hobby and they took around 5 days to pass away i was new so couldnt identify velvet at the time) so far the only thing you have said to us that leads away from velvet is that its breathing was fine, which is hard to tell on some clownfish ime especially if they are small. either way to save your other clownfish coppersafe/copper power at 2-2.5 ppm for 14 days and then into another sterile qt reusing none of the prior equipment OR 30 days then do a massive water change, leave display tank fishless for 6 weeks inverts are fine to stay in the tank during this time. use the fallow period to do some of the annoying things so you have a tank free of all disease, go buy more coral dip them then let them fallow the unwelcomed plagues away while your tank does the same, add the rest of your cuc you want, set up a chaeto reactor etc. please dont take offense if this seems like knowledge you already know i have not had the pleasure of speaking with you yet here so i am unsure of how new you are to the hobby. ( the last bit just makes life easier when i fallowed my tank i went and spent $500 on corals and a chaeto reactor and let them fallow out as the tank did saving me from the need for a qt just for corals)
Spots were on the body as well as fins and tail. Looked pretty uniform in size and yes more than I could count. The survivor still has spots on his fins but nothing on his body. Still acting normal. I ran into an issue where I had nothing to acclimate him in this evening so QT is setup but he’s still enjoying one last night in the display. Ate like a pig and active. Going to do copper followed by prazi and then stick to that for all future additions. I guess still some risk of introducing parasites via frags in the future but I’m not sure I’m going to setup a dedicated coral qt. Stick to dipping and hope for the best I guess?

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be 30 days. I cannot remember the members name but I’m going to follow the current QT guide reef2reef has. I’ve got it all setup
30 days is fine for sure and prefered, two weeks is just a option but harder on you instead of the fish since you must observe it in a new tank for 2-4 weeks.

OP
OP
D

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days is fine for sure and prefered, two weeks is just a option but harder on you instead of the fish since you must observe it in a new tank for 2-4 weeks.
He’s going to be in the qt for 2 months realistically. Copper, prazi, observation. Can’t run prazi during copper and in order to break the parasites life cycle gotta run at least 30days in copper. I believe you’re right, that after 2 weeks you could transfer. You’re trying to catch the window where the fish is free and move them before the next generation hatches. But I have one qt tank. So I’ll do the full course and not worry about trying to catch that window

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back