Lost cause leather coral?

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won a leather coral. I received it and I did the rubber band placement on a frag plug. It was to tight and started to split the frag. So I removed the rubber band, cut it where it was splitting and turning white.Iodine bath because I cut it. Then mounted to 2 different frag plugs with rubber bands. Rubber bands went on the piece that was white. As to not spit it again. It still had coloration. It was bottom of the the tank low flow low light. To not disturb it to much to attach to the plug.
Now two days later it is all white. Is this the shedding process or is this leather a goner. I moved it into more light and flow today. Thinking maybe it was that, to try to help it. Frustrated by the fact that I had it too tight to begin with, and that in my attempt to save the coral, I doomed it.

96FF214A-5B45-4223-ADE1-A1D536E3EC51.jpeg C2866C8E-B0B9-44DA-80B7-0CC6D8B271A5.jpeg

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Leathers can be very weird, if you have a way to put it in a mushroom box or something similar with some rubble rock it should attach within a week or so. It looks like a toadstool from the picture is that correct?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP... she's toast.
i've had better luck using a small take out container that a restaurant would give a customer for ketchup. add some substrate in the bottom and a small piece of rubble for the foot to attach to. with the powerheads cut off put your coral on top of the piece of rubble and cut out piece of screen ( the kind you would normally use as a screen top for your display) and rubber band around the container to keep the screen fastened down.
give 15 minutes to adhere to the rubble before turning powerheads back on but leave it in the dish in the display at the bottom for a few days to adjust. once things are settled the foot will take hold and you just glue the rock where you like it in your tank.
this is how i normally add mushrooms but a small leather should work fine this way too.

OP
OP
thatone08

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers can be very weird, if you have a way to put it in a mushroom box or something similar with some rubble rock it should attach within a week or so. It looks like a toadstool from the picture is that correct?
Yes it’s a toadstool.

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes it’s a toadstool.
yeah see if you can put it in a low flow area with rubble. I cut up a 2 foot toadstool recently and have a ton of plugs with rubber bands ( gotta keep them looser) and some just floating around the tank lol. They will attach just give them some time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back