Lost Trochus Snail

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a trochus snail that I cannot find. I Have a 21 gallon tank. If he perished will the ammonia spike be significant enough to kill everything? My tank is only 6 weeks old. All of the water parameters seem fine currently

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he perished will the ammonia spike be significant enough to kill everything?
No, it shouldn't. I wonder where this concern comes from as I've seen others voice similar concerns/theories. A system would have to be tetering on the edge of disaster to not be able to absorb a snail death is my thoughts..and then you've got biggerm/other problems.. Is yours?

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it shouldn't. I wonder where this concern comes from as I've seen others voice similar concerns/theories. A system would have to be tetering on the edge of disaster to not be able to absorb a snail death is my thoughts..and then you've got biggerm/other problems.. Is yours?
No, it has been very stable adding a little magnesium and phosphate remover here and there.
ammonia and nitrite have been 0 for 3 weeks now and the ammonia went from 2 ppm to zero in 36 hours so I waited another week and added a few things. I am currently at the ugly stage which is why I got some snails. All of the nassarius snails have been fine but 2 of the trochus snails have already died must have not acclimated well and with another gone missing it makes me wonder. All of the corals and my yellow tail damsel seem to be doing very well.
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite:0 ppm
Nitrate: 4 ppm
KH: 9
PH: 8.1
Temp: 77-78F
Magnesium: 1320 ppm
Calcium: 400 ppm

Thank you for the quick reply.

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a quick note on adding magnesium - high magnesium can cause snail paralysis. If you are just adding magnesium, keep a close eye on your values, keep it under 1500.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder where this concern comes from as I've seen others voice similar concerns/theories.
From the internet I'm sure. It's overflowing with useless and false information with a just enough facts mixed in to make it useful if one is able to wade through the BS to get to the good stuff. :winking-face:
I've had so many things die in my tanks they should have been wiped out years ago

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the internet I'm sure. It's overflowing with useless and false information with a just enough facts mixed in to make it useful if one is able to wade through the BS to get to the good stuff. :winking-face:
I've had so many things die in my tanks they should have been wiped out years ago
Yep! I have no filter (brain filter) yet since I am new to the hobby... :grinning-face-with-sweat: been a lot of fun so far though.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back