Loud person Plumbing into sump

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not had the time to make a full thread on the new tank build but will shortly. Meanwhile we got a new 90g reef and have it cycling away. The plumbing in the pipe to the sump is way too loud. The water is crashing into the 45 degree elbows making it way to loud next to my couch. Doing some research it may be worth switching to a Herbie style. Doing so will render the current rerun pipe as the emergency drain. I would have to plumb a 1 inch PVC pipe up the back of the tank and over the top for a new return.

how would I secure that plumbing so it does not fall off the tank? The tank is now full and I can not move it to attach some clamps on the back.

Or am I just stuck with the loudness of the water crashing in the pipe. I the return pump a Sicce 3 is at the lowest setting.

Ps. Disregard title. Should be loud plumbing into sump. Not loud person……

Last edited:

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make lie a U over the top of the tank. Add another elbow so the return moves across the top of the water. If you hard plumb it won't move but may vibrate. I had the same set up. I used soft line between the pump and my return. I also put a threaded PVC fitting on it for Loc Line. The U itself will keep it from falling out of the tank but may not keep it still. All you really have to do is find somewhere inside the cabinet to secure the line. Since what you are attempting is custom it's going to be difficult to give you the exact method.

But your on the right track to making your overflow quiet.

EDIT. You may not be able to secure a clamp to the back of the stand but may be able to drill a few holes and use a wire tie.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of your plumbing?

Do you have a gate valve installed?
+1

A single durso pipe will always be somewhat loud as it has air and water entering the pipe. Only a full siphon(no air in the pipe) is truly quiet.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get everything ready for a Herbie (gate valve a MUST).
Drain the water into containers, (garbage cans,) to just above the sand and move the tank & re- plum it.
The cycle should remain where it is & you will be a happy camper again.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on getting a gate valve. Need to order more bulkheads and fittings. Will. A Herbie be silent with 45’s but submerged?

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean from the bulkhead it would go to a Union then a valve then would need 2 45’s or 2 90’s to get to the sump. Right now the water is crashing at the 45’s

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I know but when redoing the plumbing will the 45’s be ok or what else do I need to do when replumbing.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you have one because there’s no mention of it but if it’s a slurping sound from the top of the drainage, try a durso pipe.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gate valve will not fit vertically. Not sure what I can do here Unless it can go horizontal and I use 90’s only. The emergency drain would have to be 90’s as well.

EEAC41DC-4E5E-40CF-ACF7-DDB6697F670F.jpeg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gate valve will not fit vertically. Not sure what I can do here Unless it can go horizontal and I use 90’s only. The emergency drain would have to be 90’s as well.

EEAC41DC-4E5E-40CF-ACF7-DDB6697F670F.jpeg
There's plenty of room if you redo that plumbing there you have vertical space if you get rid of some pipe, just get a new union or a gate valve with union connections. You may need a new bulk head if you can't get a gate valve with unions, or maybe you can fit a coupling under that existing bulkhead.

all your fitting may be touching with no visible pipe between them thats fine too.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back