Low Nitrate Issue

Noxsolaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some quick testing when I got home from work using an ATI test tube kit (read these aren’t super accurate). Nitrites-zero; nitrates-close to zero; ph-between 8 to 8.2. I have some corals and know they need nitrates; do I need more fish/feed more? I currently feed flake and frozen mysis twice daily and mix in reef roids about once a week. I don’t want to over feed and feel there may be a more natural solution than dosing. Please advise.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed more or dose amino. Amino or nitrate dosing are best if phosphate becomes an issue from feeding too much

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals do you have that you know need nitrate? They all need nitrogen, but most cannot use nitrate directly, some can with a huge cost to convert it back to a usable for and nearly all prefer to get their nitrogen from ammonia/ammonium (fish waste) that they can use directly without costing energy. Only the current mob of internet posters think that corals need nitrate, but it is not really true, unless you have growth limiting levels usually requiring media or chemicals to achieve... just feed the fish more and let them produce more ammonia/ammonium, or since you have a trace of nitrate already, just keep doing what you are doing.

Also, if you are going to chase or worry about nitrate, PLEASE get better tools than API test kits... they could literally have you chasing ghosts and messing things up.

OP
OP
Noxsolaris

Noxsolaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals do you have that you know need nitrate? They all need nitrogen, but most cannot use nitrate directly, some can with a huge cost to convert it back to a usable for and nearly all prefer to get their nitrogen from ammonia/ammonium (fish waste) that they can use directly without costing energy. Only the current mob of internet posters think that corals need nitrate, but it is not really true, unless you have growth limiting levels usually requiring media or chemicals to achieve... just feed the fish more and let them produce more ammonia/ammonium, or since you have a trace of nitrate already, just keep doing what you are doing.

Also, if you are going to chase or worry about nitrate, PLEASE get better tools than API test kits... they could literally have you chasing ghosts and messing things up.
Thanks for the info. I’m pretty new to the whole coral side of things so most of the info I have on it is from here or the guys at the LFS. Most of that info is based on what worked for their tank based on what some other dude told them. All of the corals seem happy at the moment so I’m not looking to really change anything.

I’ve seen a few posts recommending Hanna testers. Any thoughts?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I’m pretty new to the whole coral side of things so most of the info I have on it is from here or the guys at the LFS. Most of that info is based on what worked for their tank based on what some other dude told them. All of the corals seem happy at the moment so I’m not looking to really change anything.

I’ve seen a few posts recommending Hanna testers. Any thoughts?
My nitrates stay at near zero and so far, I have not had any issues with my soft and LPS corals. I use API test kits except for my Hanna checker for Phosphate.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hannah is good for Phosphate/Phosphorous. I don't care much about nitrate so Salifert works for me and it is always "clear." Clear does not mean that I have none, only that it is below what my eyes can see - Hannah appears accurate for nitrate, but it is not super easy.

For most things, find some article by a good reefer and try and resist the mob - in this case, nitrate is not food nor a preferred method for corals to get nitrogen, so adding more will not do much if you have a trace. Dr. Randy Homles-Farley has written many over a few decades that are good to read - chemistry and biology has not changed in two decades.

What you want is throughput - heavy import (feeding) and heavy export (skimming, water changes, fuge, whatever). Lots of stuff available from fish waste and low residual levels.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant API. Typo earlier.
Ahh ...

Ok, do not pay any attention to the Nitrate test. API has been for many many years notorious for the Nitrate tests giving zero. Sadly when people figure this out and they get a good Nitrate test they discover that their nitrates are through the roof.

I would suggest Salifert or Red Sea.

Also, I would highly recommend what @jda is saying. He is correct. People get too focused on free nitrate and very often don't understand what they are measuring nor what the impact is on their aquarium.

My 2 cents.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back