LPS Question, fading ridges.....

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Platygyra has been doing great, slow grower, but nice green and pink mouths. Lately I've noticed the ridges are fading from the dark purple to white. As you can see the shaded area has no ill effect. I have not moved this guy in almost 1 year. It's mid to low in my 120g tank (4x2x2), with 2x 150 mh 14k ,and 4x t5 48". I feed it maybe once a week with mysis. Feeder tentacles don't usually come out for a while dusting feeding time. Fish usually get to it first.
Any insight will help out.
4a5f03081c9550f77b34733e99b1d26f.jpg

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 hours and no comments? I know there has got to be someone in the community that has an idea!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nutrient levels? Has lighting or nutrients changed? Has alkalinity changed?

Have you tried smaller food like reef chili or reef roids? Also I find my LPS are more active at night, though I just got a platy about a week ago and have yet to see any tentacles, so I can't say when it feeds specifically.

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nutrient levels? Has lighting or nutrients changed? Has alkalinity changed?

Have you tried smaller food like reef chili or reef roids? Also I find my LPS are more active at night, though I just got a platy about a week ago and have yet to see any tentacles, so I can't say when it feeds specifically.

Steady at
No3-8-12
Po4-.04-.08
Ca-400
Dkh-8.0
Temp-79

Lighting has not changed in over 6 months, but the shaded areas do look better than direct light areas.
I have not tried feeding at night, I'll try to take a look sometime. I use to see tentacles around the edges, but not recently. This issue didn't happen overnight, it has been slowly progressing for a month or 2.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be too much direct lighting, I would try moving it to the edge of a rock outcropping or under some overhanging coral colonies.

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be too much direct lighting, I would try moving it to the edge of a rock outcropping or under some overhanging coral colonies.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but I'm not sure that will solve the issue. Both colonies are doing the same thing....something has got to be missing here

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe little less light,meaning about 3 hours of the MH.and a little more blue? I feed mine Fauna Marin LPS grow and color size m.It's small enough for their little mouths.My platy's also put out tentacles only on the edges.

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe little less light,meaning about 3 hours of the MH.and a little more blue? I feed mine Fauna Marin LPS grow and color size m.It's small enough for their little mouths.My platy's also put out tentacles only on the edges.
I think my MH only run maybe 4 hours daily anyways. They are the Phoenix 14k DE bulbs. I'll try feeding more pellets too

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went and took a measurement, the top one is 10in under a 4 light t5 all blues and the bottom neon one is 14in under the light. DSC00627.JPG

Last edited:

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My platy didn’t do well in high light. My nutrient are similar. For my platy light is the issue. It would fade and white spots occur. Once I got in medium to low light it started to thrive and I can see feeders during day also. I say light.

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to post a pic later, but it's still alive about 80% just bleached. It does look like the edges are coming back with some color. I'll post later.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but the shaded areas do look better than direct light areas.
You just answered your own question : )

the coral is paling from too much light. if you cant move it and dont want to reduce your overall light schedule, you can try raising nutrient levels by feeding more and maybe even target feed the coral.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just one of those things with corals that you will never find the answer to for the change. If it seems to continue down this path I would give it an iodine dip.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back