LPS/Softie Nano Budget Build

KaitCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

I have been designing a budget nano build for a while and wanted to share my journey. I am coming from the planted tank and vivarium world but have been interested in saltwater for a while.

My goal would be zoa/duncan predominant tank with a hammer/torch focal point inspired by inappropriate reefer.

Tank: 11.5? gallon AIO
Flow: return + koralia nano
Light: Hipargero 30w
Nutrients: 20% weekly water change, filter floss removal weekly, rox carbon
Cycle: live sand + seeded media + fritz 900

I'm so excited guys what do you think about my practice scape?

- Cheers Kait

PXL_20220103_005901506.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! I assume the top portion of the rock will be close to your waterline, so any softies that will grow tall you will want near the bottom, right? :)

OP
OP
KaitCorals

KaitCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! I assume the top portion of the rock will be close to your waterline, so any softies that will grow tall you will want near the bottom, right? :)
Hey JumboShrimp!

The way I set up the cardboard and tape was that the top horizontal piece of tape is set at 2/3 the way up the tank so much closer to the waterline but hopefully with space for a higher light coral near the top. Thanks for reaching out!

Luke B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

I have been designing a budget nano build for a while and wanted to share my journey. I am coming from the planted tank and vivarium world but have been interested in saltwater for a while.

My goal would be zoa/duncan predominant tank with a hammer/torch focal point inspired by inappropriate reefer.

Tank: 11.5? gallon AIO
Flow: return + koralia nano
Light: Hipargero 30w
Nutrients: 20% weekly water change, filter floss removal weekly, rox carbon
Cycle: live sand + seeded media + fritz 900

I'm so excited guys what do you think about my practice scape?

- Cheers Kait

PXL_20220103_005901506.jpg
Really love the scape ! Biggest thing with nanos is not ending up with too much rock, yours looks great and still has space around it to make maintenance easy.

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to see the set up Kait! I’m also going for a zoa dominated tank…I’m a long time collector and fan of all the different types! I did read something a while ago that for some reason the zoas don’t like Carbon… don’t know how true that is, just something I read. Post up more pics as the tank comes along!

OP
OP
KaitCorals

KaitCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to see the set up Kait! I’m also going for a zoa dominated tank…I’m a long time collector and fan of all the different types! I did read something a while ago that for some reason the zoas don’t like Carbon… don’t know how true that is, just something I read. Post up more pics as the tank comes along!
Thanks Kelly!

What's your favorite zoa? I think utter chaos is mine atm. I've heard that about zoas but some of the tanks that currently inspire me run low dose carbon.

- Love Kait

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BanjoBandito can't a girl dream!? I know nems aren't very friendly especially in a small tank.

I'm confused, so forgive me, but torches aren't nems. They are euphyllia coral. And I have 5 nems in my nano! 12 gallon with rock flowers and maxi minis, along with a boatload of coral. Just have a plan, do your research and ask tons of questions.

OP
OP
KaitCorals

KaitCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused, so forgive me, but torches aren't nems. They are euphyllia coral. And I have 5 nems in my nano! 12 gallon with rock flowers and maxi minis, along with a boatload of coral. Just have a plan, do your research and ask tons of questions.

BanjoBandito,

I desire a torch because I think they have some of the same visual characteristics as nems but aren't as technically difficult to care for. I've anecdotally seen nems move and sting many of the other corals in a friend's tank and have seen them eat fishstock so I'm not sure as someone who is new to the reefing side of things I should work with them.

- Cheers Kait

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kelly!

What's your favorite zoa? I think utter chaos is mine atm. I've heard that about zoas but some of the tanks that currently inspire me run low dose carbon.

- Love Kait
Utter Chaos is an awesome zoa and very affordable for how cool it is. It’s one of my favorites too. My favorite is a toss up between GMK for high end and Frozen Apple for mid-range. My new tank is still cycling at the moment but I can’t wait to fill my rack with zoas of all types! I’ve got a small 10 gallon at the house right now with Gobstoppers, dragon’s breath and few others kinda waiting to go into the new tank (wink)

Post pics as your tank moves along! Check out my build if you get a chance…somewhere on page 2 it shows a couple of the zoas I have right now in the 10 gallon.

OP
OP
KaitCorals

KaitCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers Guys so Excited!

PXL_20220104_175856236.jpg

A little over 1-inch sand bed with a little plastic egg crate to support the rocks.

PXL_20220104_234755775.jpg

Water is in the tank... now it feels so real and I am ecstatic!. Here's to dry reef rock and some reef grade "live" sand.

PXL_20220105_005752818.jpg

Needs to be shifted but I love it so far! Thank you all for spending time on this journey with me.

- Love Kait

OP
OP
KaitCorals

KaitCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 Nitrite, 0 Ammonia, 5 Nitrate... 1 little nugget

PXL_20220105_211124120.jpg

Ecstatic to meet Xel-Ha !

PXL_20220112_015951563.jpg

If I'm not actually turning the lights on for any real period of time yet should I expect the glass to get algae just from ambient lighting? Thanks in advance guys!

- Love Kait!

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
KaitCorals

KaitCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used reefcleaners. A couple of dwarf ceriths, a dwarf trochus, a small nassarius, and one very sexy shrimp.

PXL_20220228_165648238.jpg

I have minimal algae with the lights being on minimal settings so I am thinking I can add an algae wafer here and there.

- Love Kait!

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used reefcleaners. A couple of dwarf ceriths, a dwarf trochus, a small nassarius, and one very sexy shrimp.

PXL_20220228_165648238.jpg

I have minimal algae with the lights being on minimal settings so I am thinking I can add an algae wafer here and there.

- Love Kait!

Oh man, that very sexy shrimp is awesome! pretty soon you could add a Rock Flower anemone that it could call home and they are in range of budget pricing! Just feed every once and a while, dig a bit of a hole in the sand against the rock, indirect light to start and your good to go! Rock flowers dont really move much if at all. Torches are also awesome so maybe both?!?! :cool:

IMG_7553.jpeg

Best advise that i learned the hardest way possible. Be patient and the rewards are bountiful.

Happy Reefing!

B-Kind

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back