Ma877 milwauke salinity?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do i calibrate my milwaukee ma877 salinity tester and confirm its accurate? I ran out of the solution.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how do you verify that its accurate? What do i measure it against?
In the manual they tell you how to make a standard solution. You need a small scale to measure salt and water. I think Randy on here has directions on how to make a larger solution where you don’t need a scale, just measuring spoons and cups. There is no calibration adjustment for salinity though, you can only verify the reading.

Edit. It’s always a good idea to have a backup refractometer or similar as well

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the manual they tell you how to make a standard solution. You need a small scale to measure salt and water. I think Randy on here has directions on how to make a larger solution where you don’t need a scale, just measuring spoons and cups. There is no calibration adjustment for salinity though, you can only verify the reading.

Edit. It’s always a good idea to have a backup refractometer or similar as well
Do you know if randy sells that solution? I dont have tjme to make it but definitely will buy some

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if randy sells that solution? I dont have tjme to make it but definitely will buy some
It’s just table salt and water. You can buy 1.025 or 35ppt solution from pretty much any aquarium supply place probably even Amazon

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrate with distilled or RO/DI, then check against a standard.

You need to be sure to use a refractometer recipe, not a conductivity or hydrometer recipe (unless it is a seawater mimic).

Reef Aquarium Salinity: Homemade Calibration Standards by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

A solution of 3.65 weight percent sodium chloride has the same refractive index as S=35 seawater (35 ppt, sg = 1.0264), and can be used as an appropriate standard.

This 3.65 weight percent sodium chloride solution can be made by dissolving 3.65 grams of sodium chloride in 96.35 grams (mL) of purified fresh water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always have 2 forms for measuring anything.

I dont think randy sells anything, not even his knowledge, probably because it's priceless;)

lol

At one point several years ago, I was a consultant for therapeutics companies of various sorts, and that knowledge did come at a price. But its true that I do not sell any chemicals. :)

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrate with distilled or RO/DI, then check against a standard.

You need to be sure to use a refractometer recipe, not a conductivity or hydrometer recipe (unless it is a seawater mimic).

Reef Aquarium Salinity: Homemade Calibration Standards by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

A solution of 3.65 weight percent sodium chloride has the same refractive index as S=35 seawater (35 ppt, sg = 1.0264), and can be used as an appropriate standard.

This 3.65 weight percent sodium chloride solution can be made by dissolving 3.65 grams of sodium chloride in 96.35 grams (mL) of purified fresh water.

So if i buy a refractometer calibration solution would that work?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back