MACNA 2018 in Las Vegas

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone!

MACNA 2018 is in Las Vegas for the first time this year. As tickets pricier than I expected, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the $$.

Hoping someone's been before and willing to share some insights.

Don't they sell a vendor hall only pass that is a lot cheaper than the normal tickets? That is if you don't want to see any of the speakers.

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone!

MACNA 2018 is in Las Vegas for the first time this year. As tickets pricier than I expected, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the $$.

Hoping someone's been before and willing to share some insights.
You're in Vegas? You should definitely go then! If anybody is within a day's driving distance, they should check out a MACNA. For the record, each year is unique & has it's own flavor IMO. I've gone to the last 5 events.

Lots of vendors know there's a blend of hobbyists & LFS that attend. If you start chatting with everybody, you'll see that. There's certainly wholesalers at the show that can only sell to LFS. Wholesalers are at RAP too, so it's not like you can buy from that either event. But there's usually plenty of coral vendors & certainly plenty of hardware vendors. You're always going to see stuff you don't see everyday (new coral/rare fish/newly aquacultured fish/new gadgets). It really doesn't matter how long you've been in the hobby; everybody seems to have a good time & learn something new.

Lastly, the show is more than just the vendor floor. The reception/banquet/speakers are usually phenomenal. Granted, the speakers are usually recorded by BRS so it comes in handy for the folks that can't make it. Just checked the site. The floor day pass is for $20 or $30(family) is really a great deal. Some frag swaps cost nearly as much as that.

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is an industry show, why is it put on by the local club and not the industry?
I'm pretty sure this year is the first that it's not organized by the local club. There is a MACNA committee working directly with (or a part of) MASNA the way I remember them phrasing it last year. Truthfully it's probably a good thing. It seems like MACNA was exhausting on the reef clubs organizing the event. I know there's a lot of hard work put into it.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing you need to do is be open and friendly going to MACNA. I have been going since MACNA 3. I have never found the vendors unhelpful. Generally all the equipment is for sale at the end of the show.
I have hosted 4 MACNA's and dont go to RAP because it is just a big frag swap and I host one for my club every years so why waste time at one. I generally never get out of the venue but to eat their are events going on 24 hours that MACNA is going on. I MACNA is a big event with 6 thousands people in attendance each year from around the whole world. Their are vendors of corals and fish some like ORA really don's sell to the hobbyist but you can see what the have to offer and tell your LFS to get a certain fish from them . Most of ORA's fish are bought by a local LFS so if you live in the area of the show you can talk to the LFS buying all the show fish and pick it up that way. Equipment vendors generally sell all the floor models and in fact some are picked up from the display as you will see many pieces of equipment in person that would never be sold at a LFS just from a website because they are high end equipment. One day will generally not be enough if you really are open to learning about the hobby and go up and strike up a conversation with other hobbyist. If you come to MACNA search me out and tag along with me I will show you how to enjoy the show and introduce you will hobbyist from around the world who would love to talk corals and fish. I spend 4 days at the conference every year and take the next week off to recover from Coral talking over load is my wife calls it. She doesnt' attend the show because I am too focused on enjoying being with like minded coral and fish crazy friends.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back