Macna raffle FAIL

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just putting this up for discussion.
Lots of great prizes from Neptune, Ecotech etc.
This is a picture of one of the volunteers free tickets for the raffle.
She won the apex system donated by Neptune.
Each ticket was 20 individual tickets for the draws.
The rest of us had to pay $20 a sheet
I saw more than one person with piles like this .
Feel scammed having spent my $100 to try and win something only to see “volunteer” after volunteer winning stuff.
Never again for me, just put the icing on the cake of Macna being a miss for me from now on.
Whole thing was a big disappointment.

c016e48b06a4d60e2ca081de360e312b.png

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a pretty dishonest system they had going there.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand well as I suspect the same goes on in Macna in florida. Watch how the tickets are drawn. If they tickets are drawn straight out of the box without actually seeing tickets, the winners are on the bottom of the box. OR all on the top. (a indication of the latter is a rush in tickets being dropped in box shortly before drawing.) (If you know the Volunteers/their friends you may notice a pattern.) I saw this one year and then I played their suspected game the following year. I won quite a few prizes. You should of seen the shock/annoyance on their faces.

So Try this, place tickets at the beginning of day and within the last hour before drawing. Monitor the volunteers will help.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who pulls tickets for a lot of raffles, I will say the one thing I have always feared is being labeled as a cheat. We do everything we can to make sure everything is on the up and up.

The good thing is that MASNA is now running MACNA and they can monitor these comments and make corrections for future year's events. This is technically their first year at the helm so I have no doubt that they will improve on these issues.

Last edited:

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who pulls tickets for a lot of raffles, I will say the one thing I have always feared is being labeled as a cheat. We do everything we can to make sure everything is on the up and up.

The good thing is that MASNA is now running MACNA and they can monitor these comments and make corrections for future year's events. This is technically their first year at the helm so I have no doubt that they will improve on these issues.

If you place tickets in a cage that rolls/mixes them up, would help boost confidence.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you place tickets in a cage that rolls/mixes them up, would help boost confidence.

This^ or what about one of those wind tunnel boxes. The tickets would fly around and mix up. More fair.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This^ or what about one of those wind tunnel boxes. The tickets would fly around and mix up. More fair.
Honestly, that is nearly impossible when you are raffling off 100+ prizes. With 100 prizes, at 1 minute per prize, takes 1 hour 40 minutes. So how much time do you think it would take to put the tickets into a cage, pull the ticket, then empty the cage? I just don't see it as feasible in a raffle this size. Any suggestion needs to factor in the time it takes to pull each prize.

I'm telling you. It's hard to solve these issues. Look how many people were outraged when the person who pulled the ticket for the Fiji trip one. They were unselfish and chose to pull another ticket. The ended up spending $500 in raffle tickets and got nothing for it since they gave away the trip. Not even a thank you from the person that eventually won the prize. Pretty funny when a woman in a sleeveless outfit pulls out a ticket and she still gets accused of cheating. Just sickening. They heard people accuse them of palming the ticket, having the ticket stuck to the inside of the box, ect... Haters gonna hate! I can tell you this, they won't be so generous next time!

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaking the boxes pre-drawing might help.
With that said, the first time I went to MACNA I won more than my money's worth of prizes. That was probably 13 or so years ago. Since then I think I have only gone 4 times but have won nothing at any of them. Since I live in Orlando I certainly hope they are fair next year.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most every place disqualifies management/volunteers/employees/sponsors/member/anyone that has anything to do with the event. That would be fair.

I agree with this as well.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m involved in similar situation helping my daughter with trade shows.. the event organizers have completely separate prizes and drawings for venders, staff and volunteers, makes it fair for everyone and eliminates any finger pointing from attendees

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at MACNA and can’t speak to the number of tickets volunteers received. However, I observed the physical drawing and that portion was absolutely conducted in an open and fair manner.

OP
OP
davejep

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t have any issues on how they were drawn that was fine.
But when you pay $20 for your 20 tickets and someone involved in the draw gets 1000 plus free tickets.
Something is a bit fishy.

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Workers/Vendors/ people not paying for the tickets should not be given tickets to win items. I would feel just as cheated as you. I am the person that once I saw this would have raised holy hell.

I don’t know if stacks of tickets should be given out. But I think it’s reasonable to have their time compensated in some way. They couldn’t run such an alazing event without people donating their time.
Perhaps 3 sheets of tickets and early access to vendors would be more reasonable?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if stacks of tickets should be given out. But I think it’s reasonable to have their time compensated in some way. They couldn’t run such an alazing event without people donating their time.
Perhaps 3 sheets of tickets and early access to vendors would be more reasonable?
My wife works for the local chamber and everything they do requires volunteers. They make some pretty sweet swag bags or baskets for their time. IMO that would be much better then seeing volunteers win at an event where I am paying for a raffle ticket.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back