Macro algae lighting

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chameleon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 5, 2012
Messages
2,249
Reaction score
93
Location
Rockville, MD
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall.
For my refuge I have been using a simple reflector with a compact fluorescent light in it. I was wondering about switching over to LEDs. I know red is the best, but I have a white and blue 12'' led strips laying around and was thinking of using these for lighting. Do yall think it would grow the algae nicely. Anyone had experience with blue and white leds on a refuge? Also this would allow me to eventually stick my frag rack in the refuge since the macros dont take up all the space and it would clean up my display tank. Thoughts?
Thanks
-Cham
 
I had a par38 with 40 degree optics on my chaeto for a long time. It grew very well. I recently switched it out for a Ledtric Led light with some other colors mixed in. I had no problem with the macro and just blue and whites though.
 
I purchased a par 30, 5,000k led light from hd for mine. I have yet to set it up but have been told by another reefer that it works great

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
 
I think it would work. I say give it a shot.
 
I dont think you will have trouble using leds,my buddy has a diy fixture over his fuge and im always bummin algea off him
 
I recently put a DIY LED fixture over my fuge. 12 cool whites and 12 reds(both on dimmers), 6 violet, 6 green, 6 royal blues. This light actually BLEACHED my macros. lol I turned the cool whites down to about 25% last night and it seems some of the color has already came back. Once I get it dialed in I hope it will work like my CFL lights I had before. I mixed in the other colors because I like to put corals into my fuge sometimes. I will try and keep you posted.
 
I purchased a par 30, 5,000k led light from hd for mine. I have yet to set it up but have been told by another reefer that it works great

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
Amazing results on all three of my systems I harvest about every three days.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new