Macro Algae Reactor Advice

rube_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was thinking of adding a macro reactor to my 90 gallon tank to help combat nitrates. Tank is already plumbed with 3 valves coming off the return. At the moment I am only using one valve for a gfo reactor and I have the reef octopus varios 8 return pump. Someone suggested the skimz macro algae reactor as it has the lighting and pump built, but I had thought that using my return pump to power the flow is a better option. Can anyone suggest a good reactor for this or should I consider the skimz? I have seen the diy versions but then you would have to contain the light to keep from having the light grow algae all over the sump. I think it is common practice where people would use a regular reactor, drip some LEDs around it and call it a day and or possibly wrapping the reactor as you would a car to avoid light leak, seems kind of a lot if maybe there was a good option on the market I haven't seen or heard about. also, I think I will have to have the reactor submerged in the sump water as I have little to no room. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 macro algae reactors; I find no issues with algae growth in sumps because of light bleed, the intensity is so negligible. I put together this one before they put the package together, you can get the reactor and lights without the pump. https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Algae_Reactor_Package_-AquaMaxx-UJ5355-FIFRAS-vi.html
I put together one using the larger aquamaxx reactor, these lights, and a mj1200 pump. https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...let_Reactors-AquaMaxx-UJ5113-FIFRISBP-vi.html
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0132NME6O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a 3rd one I put together using a brs reactor, total cost for this was about $80 including the pump, I did have to change the pump to a mj1200. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brs-reactor-algae-reactor.319128/

All 3 of these work top knotch, absolutely no issues, none of the issues you read about here. Nitrates/phosphates minimal, the best equipment addition since the protein skimmer.

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the algae reactor package that Marinedepot offers as well. I have been running it for a few days. I’ve noticed right under the LEDS theirs algae growth on the reactor itself, like only directly under the LEDS. Is that normal?

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 macro algae reactors; I find no issues with algae growth in sumps because of light bleed, the intensity is so negligible. I put together this one before they put the package together, you can get the reactor and lights without the pump. https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Algae_Reactor_Package_-AquaMaxx-UJ5355-FIFRAS-vi.html
I put together one using the larger aquamaxx reactor, these lights, and a mj1200 pump. https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...let_Reactors-AquaMaxx-UJ5113-FIFRISBP-vi.html
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0132NME6O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a 3rd one I put together using a brs reactor, total cost for this was about $80 including the pump, I did have to change the pump to a mj1200. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brs-reactor-algae-reactor.319128/

All 3 of these work top knotch, absolutely no issues, none of the issues you read about here. Nitrates/phosphates minimal, the best equipment addition since the protein skimmer.

My other question is do you run your reactor 24/7 like the leds do you keep them on 24/7 and if so does it create a little bit of algae build up in the reactor itself??

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other question is do you run your reactor 24/7 like the leds do you keep them on 24/7 and if so does it create a little bit of algae build up in the reactor itself??

I run my lights 10 to 12 hrs a day, you'll have to dial it in depending on your application. I've never had any success running more than 12 hr. Think about it, the nature of plants need a light and dark cycle. And yes the inside of the reactor will grow algae, I even have coraline growing in the one on my reef. It doesn't block the light or does it take over.

OP
OP
R

rube_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lion King. Yeah, it seems like a really good thing especially if you don't have room for a proper refugium. The guys at my LFS were saying I should get the Pax Bellum Arid Algae Reactor. Seems great although a little expensive but maybe worth it??? I was also looking into algae scrubbers too. Do you have an opinion on algae scrubber vs Algae Reactor? Thanks Again for your info.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lion King. Yeah, it seems like a really good thing especially if you don't have room for a proper refugium. The guys at my LFS were saying I should get the Pax Bellum Arid Algae Reactor. Seems great although a little expensive but maybe worth it??? I was also looking into algae scrubbers too. Do you have an opinion on algae scrubber vs Algae Reactor? Thanks Again for your info.

What size tank are you putting it on, I believe the pax bellum is larger so would handle a larger tank. I would confidently say the large aquamaxx reactor I built could handle a heavy loaded 125g or so. I run a scubber on a 180, I prefer the reactors to the scrubber. I built the scrubber and it does run most exactly like the 2 most popular scrubbers I see used and for sale online. I have friends that use a few models of both, 302 and Clearwater.
my build working perfectly: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cheap-diy-enclosed-algae-scrubber.349286/

Pros and cons: Algae reactors are the best cost to performance on tanks around 125 or less, you just can't beat it: I am researching building a reactor which can handle larger tanks. The reactor is plug and play, easily harvest 1/2 your macro monthly and let it run. Dead silent, no adjusting, very easy maintenance. That BRS reactor is running a 90g with an eel, lionfish, and others with a hob skimmer rated for a 75 and a seachem tidal 110; no3/no4 bare minimum.
Scrubbers I find to be a pita, manufactured ones are way overpriced and it takes diddleling around to keep it quite and running smoothly. It's a pita to clean. Getting the flow to drain rate dialed in can be tricky and does change as algae grows and bits flow through the drain. You have to have a fliter sock(I use a mesh one) to catch the algae from flowing back into your system, another maintenance job keeping clean. As the algae grows, the water path changes and you will always be diddleling to calm the water fall sound. It can be quite for a day or two or week, then it's driving you mad.

The scubber really does kick butt when it comes to bringing down your no3/po4, but I find the reactors do just as good a job on my applications. I will eventually replace the one I am running with a very large reactor. My friends who have the manufactured ones deal with same water fall, flow, and pita maintenance as I do on my diy model.

Oh and I have run refugiums as well, for my applications the scrubber and reactors do a much better job. Reactors all the way. My applications are for nutrient control only, not housing pods.

Reefsmoker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an extra Two Little fishies phosban reactor 150 converted it to a cheato/algae reactor, worked great.

MDeVito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my reactor, I run it at night when the display lights go off for about 12 hours. Does an excellent job of nutrients control. Also works as a nice housing for my pod populations. It's a two little fishies phosban reactor converted with red and blue LED strip wrapped around it.

OP
OP
R

rube_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback. As for any of these except for the skimz, can they be submerged into the water in the sump? My cabinet is pretty much completely full except for the center section on sump where I have my gfo reactor and skimmer.

As lighting usually isn’t waterproof, especially over a long period of time, do u think wrapping the macro algae reactor w plastic like you would wrapping a car, would make it waterproof? Has anyone had any experience with this.

Another thing to mention is I can’t put it outside my cabinet as I have a 3 yr old that would gladly dismantle it sending water all over the floor:)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback. As for any of these except for the skimz, can they be submerged into the water in the sump? My cabinet is pretty much completely full except for the center section on sump where I have my gfo reactor and skimmer.

As lighting usually isn’t waterproof, especially over a long period of time, do u think wrapping the macro algae reactor w plastic like you would wrapping a car, would make it waterproof? Has anyone had any experience with this.

Another thing to mention is I can’t put it outside my cabinet as I have a 3 yr old that would gladly dismantle it sending water all over the floor:)

If I were to put one in my sump I would go with a pax bellum or skimz. I've never researched submersible leds. Can you mount it anywhere inside the stand. Aquamaxx makes a bracket to hang on the tank if you have room behind the tank.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those lights say "IP65." That's hardly even water resistant. That's completely false advertising that they say "waterproof." I would watch those lights if they're near water. Because IP68 is full waterproof, IP67 is 30 mins submerged or splash resistant. The IP65 is 2 levels below that. Just a heads up that they're not waterproof and should probably not be by salt water with its corrosive properties.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For you to have submersible lights they would have to be rated IP68. They are near impossible to find in a light strip form because each led is encased in silicone.

The only part about wrapping the led's is heat that can melt the reactor body. If you bring it to a place that wraps cars, ask them if it can be made waterproof, but I would only wrap the part that is submerged so the water will cool it. Leave the above-water part unwrapped. Try to use at least IP67 lights, but they can't be in water long, so waterproofing would have to be guaranteed.

You could also put the reactor on a stand in the sump to keep it mostly out of water, like a skimmer stand, and only put the lights above water level and keep the algae suspended with water flow if needed.

THESE are pretty decent reactors. They don't have the center tube and come with all barbed accessories and control valves, screens and foam pads. They're upflow and downflow. But probably any Universal reactor without the center tube would be optimal.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think ReefDudes has a video on PacSun reactor.

Hey what about Tunzes Mars Reactor coming soon.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly easier to clean that's my exact thought. If you have the Tunze reactor in the sump you don't even need to use the thumb screws. They made the lid magnetically attach to the reactor for quick algae harvesting.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back