Macro algae tumbling

  • Thread starter Thread starter ecam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ecam

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2012
Messages
499
Reaction score
179
Location
08857
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I keep macro algae tumbling in my refugium. What kind of power heads should I use, how many and how do I position them? Using a mod,el4sump from aqueon
 
I just put 2 nano koralias in mine and it has def done the trick. My overflow is in back right corner, koralia on right wall and koralia on front wall and it seems to be working well.
 
It doesn't need to tumble. Tumbling just helps light more algae. U can just spread it out every few days to get more light in between. Here's an old pic of 1 month growth in my old 150g. This is a 10g tank
121111200351.jpg


Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
 
Last edited:
not neccesary to tumble at all it just lets more of the algae to get some light to where as if you dont tumble the top just gets the light i personally dont tumble but one of my LFS keep chaeto in hampster balls seems to work well.
 
The flow through my refugium used to cause a slow tumble of my cheato. If you could try manipulating your baffles or flow you might be able to get the tumble you want. I agree that tumbling your macro algae isn't required.
 
I had mine tumble but it grows so fast eventually stopped. The trimming got to be to much. I had a mj 1200 laying on the bottom. Spun like a wheel on a f1 car.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new