Macroalgae for Display?

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaving brushes are cool - they send out runners and other shaving brushes will just start rising from the sand. I grew 3 into like 16, but then my yellow tang decided they were tasty and deforested my tank. He had a major snack attack! It was cool while it lasted :)

SteveRepp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got quite a few Fiji live rocks way back when they were legal. They had this stubby, short macro algae on them ....After all those years I still have them ... and I truly believe they keep my tank healthy. ... They don’t grow long, but they carpet pretty much any rock they’re close to ....

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Anyone have recommendations for macroalgae in the DT? Avoiding chaeto since it can cover everything up. Looking for aesthetics and the usual nitrate reduction properties. Also a little safe haven for pods. I have heard of shaving bush but looking for more options

thanks!

Do you still have tangs in your 125G display?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I see pictures please?

My LFS recommended I dont do macro algae in the DT because if it spores into the rocks or goes sexual it can destroy the tank. How has it been for your tank?

My initial idea was to add Red Gracilaria in the display on a small rock, and pump pods into and let them grow a bit and then when I add a herbivore it would be able to manage the gracilaria.

Ask your LFS what is the difference between macro algae in display tank going sexual and macro algae in refugium going sexual.

All macro algae can go sexual. Fast growing Caulerpa will go sexual when it is limited with nutrients. I find both Caulerpa Prolifera and Caulerpa Parvispora to be gorgeous in display tank. In the case of these two Caulerpa’s, the main stem enlarged in diameter and slowly oozed white liquid before going sexual. One day prior to going sexual, I noted growth tips to be white as opposed to translucent.

in my extreme example of Caulerpa going sexual, I used 1000W MH over 150G tank to push it hard and, unfortunately, I let nutrients bottom out.

Bortacladia is a slow growing red Macro collected in 40’-120’. When I get it from the divers it is a rich burgundy. If subjected to intense light, it will photoshock and go sexual. If light intensity is increased gradually, color shifts from burgundy to fire engine red to orange/red.

Because macro will not survive herbivores in my two display tanks, I started up a temporary macro algae lagoon about 2 weeks. Because I have spare 55G stands and tanks, I will soon upgrade 30G to a 55G.

Third picture shows Gracilaria Cervicornis which I got in a Red Macro grab bag from GCE. The Hippo in this tank grazes on every macro of every color except this Red Gracilari. It should be noted that this Hippo grazes on Red Tree Sponge film algae. As you can see, The Hippo knocked the orange over into the green stars.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back