Macroalgae for Display?

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Anyone have recommendations for macroalgae in the DT? Avoiding chaeto since it can cover everything up. Looking for aesthetics and the usual nitrate reduction properties. Also a little safe haven for pods. I have heard of shaving bush but looking for more options

thanks!

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots and lots of options. I'm really liking the Gracilaria Hayi I have growing in my DT- nice looking compact red bush structure. Check out Gulf Coast Ecosystems, their website is a wealth of information and I can recommend them as a seller.

Thanks!

Practically all macroalgae carries the same positives of nitrate reduction and etc?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halimeda and mermaids tail. They are calcarious so they won't be eaten by fish or CUC. They do take up some calcium, but not much. I got mine from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. They have more types of hard macros too.
20171106_183644.jpg
20171106_183638.jpg

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halimeda and mermaids tail. They are calcarious so they won't be eaten by fish or CUC. They do take up some calcium, but not much. I got mine from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. They have more types of hard macros too.

Reason why I want to add macro is because a lot of overfeeding is done when I'm not around and since I want to add corals, will the hard macros strip to much calc to the point corals will be hurt?

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very little Ca that they pull. Stony corals will pull more Ca than these do.

If you want to grow some in a fuge to feed some your fish when you trim, get the soft reds. Its like candy for fish.

interesting! Do all of the soft red macros reduce nitrates a bit as well? Do not have a fuge yet but I might do a hang on fuge in the display

Also what about Red Grape Tree Macro and such?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, any macro and micro algae will pull nitrates and phosphates as it grows. Ive heard micro pulls nutrients better than macro, thats why turf scrubbers work so well. The faster growing algaes will pull more because simply of growth. Chaeto is used because it won't go sexual and nuke your water like some other macros.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, any macro and micro algae will pull nitrates and phosphates as it grows. Ive heard micro pulls nutrients better than macro, thats why turf scrubbers work so well. The faster growing algaes will pull more because simply of growth. Chaeto is used because it won't go sexual and nuke your water like some other macros.

awesome, also anyway to know which macro is likely to go to sexual?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had calperula in my tank for months now with no problems going sexual. I know people post that it does, and will make the water cloudy, but I have yet to experience this problem. I like the look of it too, it gets nice and long, and flowy in the tank. The roots help hold down the sand in a higher flow area too so it's multipurpose

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Anyone have recommendations for macroalgae in the DT? Avoiding chaeto since it can cover everything up. Looking for aesthetics and the usual nitrate reduction properties. Also a little safe haven for pods. I have heard of shaving bush but looking for more options

thanks!

Ble Halimeda Turf algae is really nice. Doesn't uptake as fast as Red Gracilara, but will adhere to the rock.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@cromag08 can make you a gorgeous DT fuge for chaeto. He made us 2. I also have 2 others in DT on rocks and sandbed. Dragon and Halimeda. You could do one of his acclimation boxes for chaeto too with that large of a tank.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cromag08 can make you a gorgeous DT fuge for chaeto. He made us 2. I also have 2 others in DT on rocks and sandbed. Dragon and Halimeda. You could do one of his acclimation boxes for chaeto too with that large of a tank.

May I see pictures please?

My LFS recommended I dont do macro algae in the DT because if it spores into the rocks or goes sexual it can destroy the tank. How has it been for your tank?

My initial idea was to add Red Gracilaria in the display on a small rock, and pump pods into and let them grow a bit and then when I add a herbivore it would be able to manage the gracilaria.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had zero issues.

Billyjose4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.
Just came upon this thread.
Seems to be asking the exact same questions I have.

Are there any macros which could be recommended as "safe" for the DT?
I really like the idea of adding some macro to the DT (aesthetics reasons). I'd like to pursue it- but only if there is no danger (i.e. "destroying the tank" strikes fear in me).

Any suggestions/recommendations?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I’ve kept dragons breath and calperula in my DT with no problems. People do complain about calperula going sexual and releasing spores occasionally. I’ve never had this problem.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%

Back