Macroalgea Reactors & Triton Method

Discussion in 'Bulk Reef Supply' started by Brogratz, Dec 19, 2017.

1. NefTunzReef

NefTunzReef Member

Notwithstanding the fuge versus algae reactor ongoing debate, I can tell you that as a former fuge user and now a current Macroalgae reactor user, my sump is squeaky CLEAN without any bits of floating cheato or unsightly algae growing on the walls. All of the byproduct "mess" is now contained inside the reactor, which is a bonus if you like clean-looking sumps.

Brogratz and Mortie31 like this.

2. Zagreus

Zagreus Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Brog nice post! I asked brstv about this as well since I really do not have room for a fuge and was interested in triton. I was seriosly considering getting a PAX Bellum, think c19 or 17 anyway the smallest of the new generation. But I was scared away when I read and or saw some videos of them suggesting to dose nitrates due to the high success of the reactor. For me less is more....keep it simple method and that was more than I was willing to do at the time.
    I just saw that BRS posted a new article on fuges being too efficient and will watch that now. Happy New Year!

Brogratz likes this.
  3. Brogratz

Brogratz Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I believe the C series is the larger series and that the ARID reactors are overall their new ones. I just placed an order for a N18 because I don't mind it being "too efficient". I overstock my tank anyways ;). But I definitely get where you are coming from, I saw somewhere someone claiming that the Pax Bellum is a great choice for the Triton method. But still to me it's unproven, but at least for now. To compete with any potential algea etc it's worth having.

Zagreus likes this.
  4. Brogratz

Brogratz Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I not only like the clean look, I feel that a fuge is a messier version overall. Because the lights have to bleed over some and ultimately cause slime in your skimmers etc. I honestly prefer the thought of the reactor overall. But for some reason this just hasn't been fully covered yet. I hope BRS ends up finding a way to test it :).

5. Zagreus

Please do a thread or keep adding to this one on your experience with the Pax. It would be very helpful to me. Thank you, Zag

Brogratz likes this.
  6. Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm going to be trying this technique with a Skimz reactor. My tank is still dry, but I'll comment on my experiences once I have something to contribute.

Brogratz likes this.
  7. Brogratz

Please do! I only went with the Pax because it has a heat sink at the top to dissipate the heat from the LED's in the air. But I really want to see how things turn out :).

8. Brogratz

Will do, once I get the Pax. Maybe I can try testing nitrates etc and see how well it works.

9. Zagreus

Yes please also how often you need to clean it and the effort involved in cleaning it and your perception of the work over result ratio. Also how it works with triton if you use that method. Thank you! Zag

Brogratz likes this.
  10. Mick1of10

Mick1of10 Member R2R Supporter

I have he Skimz 157 rector and a smallish refugium on a RSR 500 peninsula tank. The two seem to work well together, but I don't have enough time on the system to comment definitively. Will update when I do.

Brogratz likes this.
  11. Philc

Philc New Member

Any info

Draft saved Draft deleted