Macroalgea Reactors & Triton Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notwithstanding the fuge versus algae reactor ongoing debate, I can tell you that as a former fuge user and now a current Macroalgae reactor user, my sump is squeaky CLEAN without any bits of floating cheato or unsightly algae growing on the walls. All of the byproduct "mess" is now contained inside the reactor, which is a bonus if you like clean-looking sumps.
I not only like the clean look, I feel that a fuge is a messier version overall. Because the lights have to bleed over some and ultimately cause slime in your skimmers etc. I honestly prefer the thought of the reactor overall. But for some reason this just hasn't been fully covered yet. I hope BRS ends up finding a way to test it :).

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe the C series is the larger series and that the ARID reactors are overall their new ones. I just placed an order for a N18 because I don't mind it being "too efficient". I overstock my tank anyways ;). But I definitely get where you are coming from, I saw somewhere someone claiming that the Pax Bellum is a great choice for the Triton method. But still to me it's unproven, but at least for now. To compete with any potential algea etc it's worth having.

Please do a thread or keep adding to this one on your experience with the Pax. It would be very helpful to me. Thank you, Zag

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be trying this technique with a Skimz reactor. My tank is still dry, but I'll comment on my experiences once I have something to contribute.

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be trying this technique with a Skimz reactor. My tank is still dry, but I'll comment on my experiences once I have something to contribute.
Please do! I only went with the Pax because it has a heat sink at the top to dissipate the heat from the LED's in the air. But I really want to see how things turn out :).

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do a thread or keep adding to this one on your experience with the Pax. It would be very helpful to me. Thank you, Zag
Will do, once I get the Pax. Maybe I can try testing nitrates etc and see how well it works.

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes please also how often you need to clean it and the effort involved in cleaning it and your perception of the work over result ratio. Also how it works with triton if you use that method. Thank you! Zag

Mick1of10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have he Skimz 157 rector and a smallish refugium on a RSR 500 peninsula tank. The two seem to work well together, but I don't have enough time on the system to comment definitively. Will update when I do.

Philc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have he Skimz 157 rector and a smallish refugium on a RSR 500 peninsula tank. The two seem to work well together, but I don't have enough time on the system to comment definitively. Will update when I do.
Any updates?

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am suppose to get my Pax Bellum this week, the process to get one takes FOREVER. It's been over 10 weeks since I ordered it. But I am going to get it up and running, and than look into possibly doing Triton on that system.

DaveNJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went to the Triton Method (a couple of months now) and installed the large Skimz reactor about 3 weeks ago. I've not been impressed so far... but I also think I just figured out why this morning. My chaeto just will not grow in the reactor. I have it set for 12 hours on a reverse light cycle. But... I just saw in another thread a flippant comment about Vibrant killing chaeto... oops. So... I think I'll stop dosing Vibrant and see what happens. As an aside, I seeded one of the 3 "chambers" in the Skimz with Dragon's Breath macro-algae and it has shown some growth. Not a lot, but it's faring better than the chaeto.

How has your experience been since you last posted?

Philc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I just recently got my skimz reactor going 3 monthes ago and had to trim cheato 3 times. Packed out cheato. Incredible. Just picked up triton others method. And going to start dosing.

Reefdom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any more feedback. So many get to the point of pulling the pin and then leave us hanging

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went to the Triton Method (a couple of months now) and installed the large Skimz reactor about 3 weeks ago. I've not been impressed so far... but I also think I just figured out why this morning. My chaeto just will not grow in the reactor. I have it set for 12 hours on a reverse light cycle. But... I just saw in another thread a flippant comment about Vibrant killing chaeto... oops. So... I think I'll stop dosing Vibrant and see what happens. As an aside, I seeded one of the 3 "chambers" in the Skimz with Dragon's Breath macro-algae and it has shown some growth. Not a lot, but it's faring better than the chaeto.
I can attest to Vibrant killing chaeto. I accidentally overdosed Vibrant and it killed all my chaeto quickly (like 24 hours). It took me about 5 20% water changes before I could buy more chaeto and have it live.

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything new to report on the macro algae reactor versus sump for the Triton method? I am curious because the Kessel H380 light is more expensive than the Skimz reactor.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything new to report on the macro algae reactor versus sump for the Triton method? I am curious because the Kessel H380 light is more expensive than the Skimz reactor.

If you have the space, a traditional refugium is going to be much more effective than an algae reactor just due to size. Unless you're running a small system or have a very large macro reactor, it's going to be hard to run a true Triton method this way.

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the space, a traditional refugium is going to be much more effective than an algae reactor just due to size. Unless you're running a small system or have a very large macro reactor, it's going to be hard to run a true Triton method this way.
Okay, thanks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back