Mag Drive Pumps go Bad?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nater
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nater

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 19, 2009
Messages
885
Reaction score
1
Location
long island, ny
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a mag 7 on my skimmer. I feel it's not putting out as much as it was when i first bought it. Anyone have any problems with them? Any good alternatives to a mag pumps for in sump skimmers? Thanks
 
The magnet has got weak on the impeller. I like Eheim but it just depends on the skimmer
 
I ran two mag 12 1 for return and 1 for my old skimmer but never noticed pressure decline unless the foam filter is clogged which I clean mine once a week may try that and go from there
 
(if you already have not) you can soak it in a vinegar solution with water and it will clean the deposits up that are building up on the shaft up the pump and adding resistance.
 
Mag drive pumps have always been very reliable and IME the motors take a very long time to wear down.
 
(if you already have not) you can soak it in a vinegar solution with water and it will clean the deposits up that are building up on the shaft up the pump and adding resistance.

+1

I try to clean my pumps every 4 months or so...
(when I'm motivated) :P
 
If you haven't dismantled and cleaned the impeller assembly, that's your first step. I clean mine monthly. They're very durable pumps.
Gary
 
When you dismantle and clean the pump make sure you also clear out any buildup in the venturi.
 
thanks all for the feedback. I will be doing a good clean on the pumps. seehow that works out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new