Magnesium mix

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I bought the Kalkwasser starter package and filled each empty container with 1 gallon ro/di water then the salts, both the calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate dissolved into 1 gallon of water but only 1/2 of the magnesium would fit. I realize the directions say to add salts first then water i read them after as the front of the package says 1 gallon mix so i figured you would need exactly 1 gallon of water lol

anyways im wondering is it correct i did the magnesium mix wrong and it doesnt require a gallon of water? and if so can i simply test it to find out the potency and consider that when supplementing my tank? I'd guess half the salt fit

OP
OP
Mykawl

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my idea to "fix" it, I will make another gallon of ro/di water mix the rest of the magnesium mix into that and then simply double the amount of magnesium mix solution that the calculator determines?

Edit: Actually i'm thinking that won't work since the intended amount of water is simply whatever it takes to fill up the mixing container after the salt is already in

So my 2 gallons of ro/di water isn't simply twice the intended amount of water

Last edited:

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Mykawl,
Click HERE for the mixing instructions for the magnesium mix. To test the potency of your current magnesium mix, I would suggest adding a couple of gallons of newly mixed saltwater to a 5 gallon bucket (lets say 3 gallons). Then measure what that water's magnesium level is. From there, use our Reefing Calculator to attempt to raise the level by x ppm (lets say 100ppm as an example). If you add the required liquid then it turns out that you've only got a 50 ppm increase, the potency of the solution is, in theory, half strength.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 100 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back