Magnifica with 2 Mouths?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just received a magnifica this morning. It looks pretty healthy overall. I’ve got it in a hospital tank for cipro treatment currently. While acclimating I realized the anemone has 2 mouths. Does this mean it started to split and then didn’t? Or that it will split? Just curious as I haven’t run across this before.
FB89D55F-1A5D-488D-9EB9-B903A4BA8CE0.jpeg
19560740-B5B0-4010-8914-58075089374F.jpeg
75F37FE2-1A63-41F9-BCB9-3F3288CAA978.jpeg

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your about to have 2 mags. Cool. Good luck with them.
Have you seen mags split? If no, why do you think it will split, just because it has 2 mouths? Or are you basing this on some other source of information?

After some further searching I found a response to the same question from @OrionN indicating that this is not how they split and doesn’t mean that it will.

Just curious to understand what is going. I suspect it may be more likely that it previously began to split and stopped before completing or an injury maybe led to it developing an additional mouth?

Last edited:

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a bit rare for them to split. but it has happened. I think what's happening is that its getting ready to split since if one of them didn't have a mouth its chances of survival is pretty low

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve any insight? I have not had this happen with any of mine.
MIne did this before it split. It took about 2 months for it to begin to split, but once it started, only took a few hours. I have pics somewhere of it, but not handy, as I had to go in the office today.

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MIne did this before it split. It took about 2 months for it to begin to split, but once it started, only took a few hours. I have pics somewhere of it, but not handy, as I had to go in the office today.
Thanks for the info!

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen mags split? If no, why do you think it will split, just because it has 2 mouths? or are you basing this on some other source of information?

After some further searching I found a response to the same question from @OrionN indicating that this is not how they split and doesn’t mean that it will.

Just curious to understand what is going. I suspect it may be more likely that it previously began to split and stopped before completing or an injury maybe led to it developing an additional mouth?
I haven’t any any experience with mags splitting but other nems they form a second mouth before they split. @Nemguy123 has one that splits as well.

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did it ever split? :)
After about 5 months it started to split….it was doing great before that. But during the process of splitting it went downhill fast. I don’t know if I should have intervened to help it…….but it died sadly.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 5 months it started to split….it was doing great before that. But during the process of splitting it went downhill fast. I don’t know if I should have intervened to help it…….but it died sadly.
It's all good. Thanks for sharing. I once lost this beautiful Magnifica that I can not ever find it stores again

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back