Magnum canister filter

Cclranger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just put filter floss inside my canister filter instead of buying these polishing filters at $9 a pop? I have the Marineland Magnum canister filter. Thanks in advance.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - Absolutely!

The key is to make sure that it is packed so that you get a balance between (A) getting enough floss packed in there to avoid having water bypass the floss where it doesn't press into the corners, and (B) over-packing the floss so that you significantly reduce flow and therefore the effective turnover rate.

OP
OP
Cclranger

Cclranger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - Absolutely!

The key is to make sure that it is packed so that you get a balance between (A) getting enough floss packed in there to avoid having water bypass the floss where it doesn't press into the corners, and (B) over-packing the floss so that you significantly reduce flow and therefore the effective turnover rate.
Thank.you!

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those paper filters can be soaked in bleach, rinsed with a hose and reused. We do that all the time with pleated paper filters in our aquatic facility. Soak in 10% bleach overnight, rinse well (garden hose with pressure helps) and either air dry until no more bleach smell or treat with sodium thiosulfate in water until no more bleach smell.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back