Majestic Angel...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who's got them? What set up do you have and what advice would you give for someone who is interested in one? I saw a really nice 3"-4" with adult coloration in person. Having some ideas... :confused:

Doing some research about them and from what I've been reading they are "safer" and "hardier" of the big angels. I've always admired bigger angels but never really looked into them. Would like to hear from someone that had first hand experience with them. Thanks. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Marv!

I kept a Majestic for around 3 years from ~2004-2007. He/She was a fantastic fish. At the time, my tank went through a few major changes, everything from lighting changes, to removing all Live Rock and adding in an eggcrate structure as more of a frag/growout system. I had a tiny sump on the aquarium initially and ended up adding a 100 gal Rubbermaid stock tank in one foul swoop. In short there was a few major changes over a couple year period that certainly had to greatly effect stability and the fish took it in stride. The Majestic was "okay" with coral. He would certainly nip here and there but never did anything devastating. With that said I did not keep any Zoanthids or Euphyllia species, I had mostly Acropora along with a couple types of Favia, two Rhizos, an Elegance coral (HUGE elegance that would eat snails off the glass) and a couple plating Montiporas. He was with a Starcki damsel and a Lawnmower Blenny. I have no experience keeping them with Anemones, however ;)

I believe that our fellow Michigander "Tanglovers" (Scott) kept one, or still has one (hit him up on MR). I do know that Todd of CC had one for a very short period of time as he went straight to tearing up his Acros and Montis, of course that was around 1999-2000 when most of us would immediately pull a fish for looking at coral funny, let alone nipping at it!

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Marv!

I kept a Majestic for around 3 years from ~2004-2007. He/She was a fantastic fish. At the time, my tank went through a few major changes, everything from lighting changes, to removing all Live Rock and adding in an eggcrate structure as more of a frag/growout system. I had a tiny sump on the aquarium initially and ended up adding a 100 gal Rubbermaid stock tank in one foul swoop. In short there was a few major changes over a couple year period that certainly had to greatly effect stability and the fish took it in stride. The Majestic was "okay" with coral. He would certainly nip here and there but never did anything devastating. With that said I did not keep any Zoanthids or Euphyllia species, I had mostly Acropora along with a couple types of Favia, two Rhizos, an Elegance coral (HUGE elegance that would eat snails off the glass) and a couple plating Montiporas. He was with a Starcki damsel and a Lawnmower Blenny. I have no experience keeping them with Anemones, however ;)

I believe that our fellow Michigander "Tanglovers" (Scott) kept one, or still has one (hit him up on MR). I do know that Todd of CC had one for a very short period of time as he went straight to tearing up his Acros and Montis, of course that was around 1999-2000 when most of us would immediately pull a fish for looking at coral funny, let alone nipping at it!
awesome man. I was just about to pm yah since I know you have lotsa experience with angels. :)

from what I'm reading they don't really touch BTA's. I do have some rogue polyps but I don't think I'll be heartbroken if the Majestic takes a liking to them. I was looking around the tank last night and just noticed that I have sponges growing all over the undersides of my rockwork, so this might be a sign... hahaha.. :)

anyone else care to share their experience with this awesome fish?

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
came by the LFS yesterday and the Majestic is eating mysis, brine, and flakes. I feel good about taking him home. best part is I'm doing a partial trade for him. ;)

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, here he is. more info in my thread, starting on post #2749. :bigsmile:

11-29-12Pic1b.jpg

11-29-12Pic1c.jpg

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's gorgeous... Congratulations!!!

-M&T

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back