Making a lid

Reefer-Noob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I am upgrading the light on my fluval flex 32.5g - the light is built into the hood. So I'll be removing the hood and need to make a sort of mesh lid so that my friends dont jump out. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for materials to use or kits and what not.

Thanks!

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my old flex 9g, I just cut out a giant hole in the lid and glued mesh to it. Basically just creating a frame out of the lid. It worked, but If I were to do it again, I'd just buy the diy rimless tank screen top kit from BRS.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum window screen frame and corners from HD/Lowes and 1/4" mesh form BRS. It will take all of 15 minutes to create a great DIY screen top that will last for years.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest is always @Billdogg 's method- just make sure when you're putting it together, don't stretch the screen too tight. It will naturally tighten as you put the spline in, however if you pull it too tight, it will always turn out wonky and you'll have to pull the spline and restart.

Ask me how I know...

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest is always @Billdogg 's method- just make sure when you're putting it together, don't stretch the screen too tight. It will naturally tighten as you put the spline in, however if you pull it too tight, it will always turn out wonky and you'll have to pull the spline and restart.

Ask me how I know...

I would say that I prefer the easiest method only if it happens to be best as well;)

I have no issue whatsoever going the more difficult route if it yields results worth the extra effort!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, don't get me wrong- it will work perfectly for anything you need. There isn't a better DIY lid method for keeping the fish in- it's only about aesthetics. You can always take a router to a piece of acrylic and put the netting in that for a cleaner look, but it accomplishes the same goal of keeping the fish from carpet surfing. You can also add any cut outs, feed doors, pulleys, etc to the aluminum window framing.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back