Managing Monday: Let's talk cable/cord management!

Are you someone who cares what the cords and cables look like around your reef tank?

• Yes and very OCD about it

Votes: 178 23.0%
  • Yes but not OCD about it

Votes: 451 58.3%
  • Meh I don't care too much

Votes: 105 13.6%
  • I do not care at all

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 1.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With more people being at home more than normal I'm sure we're all checking things off the aquarium to do list! One thing I'm not the greatest at and something I have been putting off is making the cables and cords from my reef tank look better. Some people don't really care how it looks and some people want it as tidy as possible! Let's talk about that today!

1. Are you someone who cares what the cords and cables look like around your reef tank?

2. Do you have any useful cord managing tips for those of us who are not that great? Maybe share some product links to help us?

BONUS: SHARE a photo of your cable management so we can be inspired! :)

@Steve1310 has done a very nice job!
2d499c7f949dfc63413402a0f6910d66.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cord management is my #1. Cords everywhere and disorganized drives me insane! When you need to unhook something you have to untangle a bunch of wires. It's almost as bad as taking your headphones out of your pocket!
I use a combination of zip ties and mounts to run my wires where they need to go. But make sure to get the re-usable zip ties if you ever need to remove a piece of equipment or replace. THey have a little tab you can press to unzip them. Work great and saves on having to replace zip ties all the time :)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cord management is my #1. Cords everywhere and disorganized drives me insane! When you need to unhook something you have to untangle a bunch of wires. It's almost as bad as taking your headphones out of your pocket!
I use a combination of zip ties and mounts to run my wires where they need to go. But make sure to get the re-usable zip ties if you ever need to remove a piece of equipment or replace. THey have a little tab you can press to unzip them. Work great and saves on having to replace zip ties all the time :)
The more organized it is the more painful it is to pull equipment out. This is why I have an equipment cabinet that stays closed. I tried to manage it once, wasn't worth it for me.

Photos please!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out where the tank is? Don't want any cables, if I can avoid it.

FulTank.jpg

Can't avoid the light cables, or the flow pump cables, though I've hidden as much of them as I can.

Now... where the sump is? Another matter entirely

SumpCloset031220.jpg

Yeah. It's a bit of a cable mess. But... I can find what I need, easily. And, when I want it nice and neat? Close the darned door! Hey, look, all neat and tidy!

SaltyCupcake

Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I care! But I fuss over so many things already that I feel like I would make myself bananas in pajamas if I messed with my wires too much.

They aren't awful, but there is definitely much room for improvement.

I have them plugged into a power strip that is mounted on the wall near my tank. But it's only got 3 spots... so I should really get a larger one because the rest of my doodads are plugged into a power strip on the ground beside my tank cabinet which makes me nervous every time I see it haha.

I'd post the picture of my other wires but it stresses me out to look at it so I won't put anyone else through that lol <3

Edit: Suddenly realizing how modest my set up is and feeling a bit self-conscious. I hope that my wires can look as cool as the other folks here someday! :)

Last edited:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a cabinet to for all my controls but I'm not OCD about cable routing because as mentioned if you have to change out a piece of gear it can be a nightmare. As a display it's clean, the cables and powerblocks & EB8s are hidden behind front control board. As long as I know which is which, I'm satisfied.

IMG_7326.JPG IMG_7327.JPG

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, every time I do it all up neat I have to take stuff apart to do something to it. I go for accessible, replaceable and identifiable. I don't bundle and route anymore. Nothing on the floor where water goes either.

Justgettingstarted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With more people being at home more than normal I'm sure we're all checking things off the aquarium to do list! One thing I'm not the greatest at and something I have been putting off is making the cables and cords from my reef tank look better. Some people don't really care how it looks and some people want it as tidy as possible! Let's talk about that today!

1. Are you someone who cares what the cords and cables look like around your reef tank?

2. Do you have any useful cord managing tips for those of us who are not that great? Maybe share some product links to help us?

BONUS: SHARE a photo of your cable management so we can be inspired! :)

@Steve1310 has done a very nice job!
2d499c7f949dfc63413402a0f6910d66.jpg
I wish my mess looked this good

15855887448258930485880069839862.jpg

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i built a cabinet for the system. I am dipping my toes into wood working and I like the way it came out. everything is run in raceways behind the sump and looks nice and neat. the trick is to run 2 sets of raceways that way when it comes time to remove/ maintenance it makes it easier to do. wall raceways for light management and I'm good to go.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some organization is a good thing. But with as much as I change and move around it’s tough to keep it perfect.

in the beginning I had this
9E0F2B31-5B62-4D09-95A5-0A2C70D94EC0.jpeg

then this, we can agree this was a step backwards. But I had to move things for room under my tanks dry side.
481ACF46-AC90-4341-AC39-07EEC6D302F5.jpeg

more changes
96AC6D2A-B0F7-4B79-80F4-19FCB021E573.jpeg

to this
F3BA5636-8181-4B52-BFC2-81D87BFF15DD.jpeg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back